Pre-Game Release DLC

When should a game receive/announce DLC?

• Before it's been released

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • On Day 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One Week after release

• One Month after release

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Half a year after release

• One year after release

• NEVER! DLC IS DIGITAL-SPAWN!

• Other (Please explain your arbitrary choice Mr. Exactly 256 days )

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Timewarp

PSLS Level: Bronze
You know what's starting to bug me, well has been bugging me for a while now? Games companies who announce DLC before the main game has even been released, I've made I think next to every kind of rant I could about this so I'll just say th-DON'T DO IT! JUST DON'T DO IT! I don't want to think about DLC before the game has even been released. I want to think about the actual gameplay.

DLC before release acts like this massive sign telling you "THE INITIAL £40/$60 ONLY ENTITLES YOU TO 50-40% OF THE ACTUAL GAME" except now the price for videogames in the UK is £50 since Sony and Microsoft seem to believe that every in the UK are idiots who won't be able to work out the conversion rate for Dollars to Sterling. I hate this idea that now we're being charged up to £60 for videogames and that doesn't even entitle us to the whole game, the pricing structure has just put me off the next generation of games and along with the attitude of games companies I don't know about anyone else but I'm beginning to think I should get a new hobby.

I'm trying to be a games designer here and I hate video games. That is insane right?

I think developers should start looking into DLC about a month after release, giving them plenty of time to get some feedback from consumers on what kind of DLC they might want. I can't stand DLC announced before the game is released. I feel like @Timewarp that it throws up a major red flag when they are already talking about what to expect before it releases. If you have time to talk about DLC before release, then you have time to just incorporate that planned DLC into the launch of the game.

Exactly, it's unprofessional and despite what games companies tell us we can always tell. Take Bioshock Infinite, I was perfectly happy to wait for it's DLC and it was some of the best DLC I've played in a long time. It annoys me when you get a game that's clearly not long enough, we really need to come up with something to get at games companies for doing this.

I hate this as well. It is just completely ridiculous. It also make me think, every single time, that the DLC is already in my game. They just want me to pay to unlock it. Much like Capcom's mistakes a few years ago. They shouldn't even mention DLC until a game has been our for a month. Let us experience the game for gods sake. Then we can talk about any extra content. A lot of practices in the industry today really get under my skin. This is one of the top ones.

I'm not necessarily ok with having paid DLC right away when a game releases, unless it's trivial things that don't add much to the game (looking at you Oblivion horse armor, or various in game costumes, etc.). But the kind of day one DLC I am ok with them announcing early is absolutely free DLC. What I have seen inFAMOUS: Second Son is the most recent example of the type of DLC that I find ok, and actually pretty awesome. They are spreading it out over a given period of time to have gamers come back every week for new content.

Now what has been going on with the paid DLC on day one I don't agree with, especially when it is already on disc. Not saying that I haven't purchased DLC before for a game that I just got, but it is usually pretty rare and better be awesome DLC for me to get it.

granted it get's on my nerves, however if it's something like dlc that's coming as part of a pre-order then I don't really mind too much, otherwise I can wait. what I don't like are the games like ninja gaiden 3 razors edge that come out as a separate game, when really it should've just counted as dlc or something.

Exactly, it's unprofessional and despite what games companies tell us we can always tell. Take Bioshock Infinite, I was perfectly happy to wait for it's DLC and it was some of the best DLC I've played in a long time. It annoys me when you get a game that's clearly not long enough, we really need to come up with something to get at games companies for doing this.

I didn't like the burial at sea dlc, they just confused the hell outta me.

Wait until at least 1 month to announce said DLC (make sure it's girthy and has content!!), and then release at between 3 to 6 months. Let the game be out for a minute, mature a bit, age like a delicious cheddar. Then get me thinking about how sick an add on story would be. Get to me just when I am itching for more, or to get back into the game. Not to early, but not after I just don't care anymore either.

I am actually fine with announcing DLC prior to release as long as it is doesn't come out on release day. People always complain that any DLC that comes out within the first month should have been included and that they are ripping us off. I don't see it that way if it is actually a substantial amount of content. These companies have people who finish their part of a game way before release that begin to work on DLC. The game is also done quite some time before we get out hands on it. Just because a piece of DLC comes out 3 weeks after release doesn't mean they held that content back from the game to make money. I feel like some people can't comprehend this concept.

I am actually fine with announcing DLC prior to release as long as it is doesn't come out on release day. People always complain that any DLC that comes out within the first month should have been included and that they are ripping us off. I don't see it that way if it is actually a substantial amount of content. These companies have people who finish their part of a game way before release that begin to work on DLC. The game is also done quite some time before we get out hands on it. Just because a piece of DLC comes out 3 weeks after release doesn't mean they held that content back from the game to make money. I feel like some people can't comprehend this concept.

Announcing DLC or the intention of future DLC is fine but when companies act like they've already finished the DLC it makes you wonder how much of that content could have been in the main game. DLC created to further the experience is fine but DLC that is essential to understanding the story isn't. Take Assassin's Creed, in the second game there's a moment where the game just skips ahead a chapter due to corrupt memory. I don't buy for one moment that it couldn't have been put into the main game.

Announcing DLC or the intention of future DLC is fine but when companies act like they've already finished the DLC it makes you wonder how much of that content could have been in the main game. DLC created to further the experience is fine but DLC that is essential to understanding the story isn't. Take Assassin's Creed, in the second game there's a moment where the game just skips ahead a chapter due to corrupt memory. I don't buy for one moment that it couldn't have been put into the main game.
In that case I agree with you. Although I played that sequence and it added literally nothing to the story of the game.

Agreed. If it's on the disc is what's annoying. Under no circumstances (unless it's limited edition content) should a 100KB download from the PS Store unlock content in the game IMO.

It's especially annoying when you buy an expensive piece of DLC that's around £10-20 and then when you go download the content it's barely a couple of Megabytes. Do anyone in the US know about Ryanair? They have cheap flights but you have to pay for pretty much anything else they don't have to give you by law, DLC on disc is like that except even Ryanair recognise that if their selling a service lesser then that of their rivals then they should at least charge less then their rivals.

My opinion is that they should annouce pre order DLC with time before release and that goes too for the Collector's Editions and LImited Editions because sometimes they announce them late. For DLC I think they should give us like months before the release of the game a good summary of their plans and the DLC. I think some DLCs are worth it but some are not even worth buying even when they are on a deal thing. Mostly I only buy DLC for story but never for weapons or maps and I hate "DLC"that is already on the disc but you are paying to unlock it. Only when they are free or like a Dollar.

My point. They should give us the full information about DLC months before the release and not like the day 1. It would make it more clear and people can decide with time if they want it or not. But I guess that is what they want.

My opinion is that they should annouce pre order DLC with time before release and that goes too for the Collector's Editions and LImited Editions because sometimes they announce them late. For DLC I think they should give us like months before the release of the game a good summary of their plans and the DLC. I think some DLCs are worth it but some are not even worth buying even when they are on a deal thing. Mostly I only buy DLC for story but never for weapons or maps and I hate "DLC"that is already on the disc but you are paying to unlock it. Only when they are free or like a Dollar.

My point. They should give us the full information about DLC months before the release and not like the day 1. It would make it more clear and people can decide with time if they want it or not. But I guess that is what they want.

Just doesn't make sense to me. Why go through all that? Just toss it on the disc. DLC should always be after release in my opinion. And as such, we shouldn't know anything about it until the game has come out already. I mean, DLC is optional. You know you take a gamble if you buy a season pass just for the sake of buying it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"