PS4 Controller Hardware Problems

TryndaHero

PSLS Level: Bronze
I seem to be having a lot of problems with both of my PS4 controllers, and I'm curious to see if anyone else is having the same issues or if its just me.
First off, and most importantly, my R2 button on both controllers has a broken hinge. My first one broke after about 6 months of using it, after which I bought a 2nd controller. That second controller lasted about 2 months and then the same thing broke on it today (there goes my hopes of playing Destiny all weekend). I refuse to go out and buy another controller just to have the same problem again down the road so....I'm going to try a "Home Fix-it" here in a few days when some parts I ordered arrive.
Another, lesser problem I'm having is the rubber coating on my analog sticks is rubbing off on both controllers. Thats kind of annoying.
Anyway, has anyone else experienced these issues or am I just pressing my buttons too harshly?

I seem to be having a lot of problems with both of my PS4 controllers, and I'm curious to see if anyone else is having the same issues or if its just me.
First off, and most importantly, my R2 button on both controllers has a broken hinge. My first one broke after about 6 months of using it, after which I bought a 2nd controller. That second controller lasted about 2 months and then the same thing broke on it today (there goes my hopes of playing Destiny all weekend). I refuse to go out and buy another controller just to have the same problem again down the road so....I'm going to try a "Home Fix-it" here in a few days when some parts I ordered arrive.
Another, lesser problem I'm having is the rubber coating on my analog sticks is rubbing off on both controllers. Thats kind of annoying.
Anyway, has anyone else experienced these issues or am I just pressing my buttons too harshly?
I haven't had any problems. But that doesn't mean you're being too rough.

Sony knows there's a problem with the way the rubber comes off some of the sticks. The PS4 isn't a year old yet, everything is still under 1 year warranty.

Call them up, they'll fix it. Don't try fixing it at home, don't go ordering useless things in an attempt to hack the controllers back to working condition, I hear a lot of people have positive results by just getting an RMA package sending it to Sony and getting a new one in a couple days time for the WHOLE process.

Try one at least. Which ever one is worse for wear. The reason why people aren't up in arms and angry is not because the PS4 controllers are absolutely perfect, but because Sony seems to have a no muss no fuss policy that leaves people happy with it.

Hope this works well for you too. Hope I'm not too late trying to help you.

I had the rubber wear down and eventually tear on both of my controllers' analog sticks. Just did a livechat with Sony and sent them in (one at a time so I would still have the other to use). From the day I sent each until I received them back was five calendar days in both cases I believe. Very quick turnaround. Send them in, don't waste your time or money trying to do it yourself in this case.

I had the rubber wear down and eventually tear on both of my controllers' analog sticks. Just did a livechat with Sony and sent them in (one at a time so I would still have the other to use). From the day I sent each until I received them back was five calendar days in both cases I believe. Very quick turnaround. Send them in, don't waste your time or money trying to do it yourself in this case.
So glad you corroborated my recommendation.

It's hard to not sound like a fanboy, when a company is doing a lot of things right. XD

What level of wearing off do you consider to be bad enough to send in? Both of mine are launch controllers (one from the console, one extra). I have stick caps for the bad one so I'm not really worried about those, but my other ones are just really smooth and slippery now. Makes fast stuff like FPS' a little annoying.

What level of wearing off do you consider to be bad enough to send in? Both of mine are launch controllers (one from the console, one extra). I have stick caps for the bad one so I'm not really worried about those, but my other ones are just really smooth and slippery now. Makes fast stuff like FPS' a little annoying.
Would probably have to ask Sony on that one. Both of mine wore down to smooth and slippery within a few months (that thin little layer on top rubs off pretty easily), and not sure if that alone is enough to get it fixed. It very well could be, but I let it be and eventually the rubber tore completely through to the point where the plastic below was exposed, giving me no choice at that point. Probably because of the way I use the controller, because both were on the sides of the sticks, closer to the buttons. I didn't take a picture of mine, but this is similar to what mine was like.

DS4.jpg

Would probably have to ask Sony on that one. Both of mine wore down to smooth and slippery within a few months (that thin little layer on top rubs off pretty easily), and not sure if that alone is enough to get it fixed. It very well could be, but I let it be and eventually the rubber tore completely through to the point where the plastic below was exposed, giving me no choice at that point. Probably because of the way I use the controller, because both were on the sides of the sticks, closer to the buttons. I didn't take a picture of mine, but this is similar to what mine was like.

DS4.jpg
Wow! Mine are super slippery right now (trying to play Destiny can get a little tough when it's hot and my hands sweat), but I am not through to the plastic yet.

I just bought one of the new wave blue DS4's and it feels a little different than the stock controllers. It feels slightly more solid and all the face buttons and analog sticks feel slightly stiffer, which I like very much.

I also had an issue with the old DS4 triggers "squeaking" when pressed, which doesn't really change the control but is still slightly annoying. My new wave blue doesn't do that. Hopefully they fixed the problems with the original DS4 in these new pads and didn't just stick with the old design and materials that they now know are flawed...

Last edited:
I just bought one of the new wave blue DS4's and it feels a little different than the stock controllers. It feels slightly more solid and all the face buttons and analog sticks feel slightly stiffer, which I like very much.

I also had an issue with the old DS4 triggers "squeaking" when pressed, which doesn't really change the control but is still slightly annoying. My new wave blue doesn't do that. Hopefully they fixed the problems with the original DS4 in these new pads and didn't just stick with the old design and materials that they now know are flawed...
I'm thinking about (read: planning on) grabbing a white controller shortly. I've heard those ones feel a lot more sturdy too.

Both of my original launch DualShock 4s have now worn down on the left analog stick. If any part of the hard plastic beneath is showing, I send it in. They fix it completely for free. You merely have to ship it to them. My returned controller, which I suspect is a new one all together, hasn't had problems since. My second launch controller recently had the R2 button fail as well. I'm now using it as a PC controller utilizing the program, DS4Tool, for my Skyrim purposes.

I'm thinking about (read: planning on) grabbing a white controller shortly. I've heard those ones feel a lot more sturdy too.

I was hoping these newer controllers would be of a bit better quality. Hopefully soon I can get my hands on a Wave Blue or Glacier White.

I hate how short the battery life is compared to the dual shock 3. My dual shock 3 controller can go a month unplugged before i start seeing the "low battery" warning pop up just from one overnight charge. The dual shock 4 doesn't even last a full day, even after i've let it charge all night and all day.

I hate how short the battery life is compared to the dual shock 3. My dual shock 3 controller can go a month unplugged before i start seeing the "low battery" warning pop up just from one overnight charge. The dual shock 4 doesn't even last a full day, even after i've let it charge all night and all day.
That's just how it goes. Battery technology is one of the slowest technological advances we have. There's not much Sony could have done, other than remove the light bar, remove the ability to plug headphones into a controller and output all the audio there, etc.

So it's either make a revolutionary controller, or stick to a slightly newer one. If I lose the speaker in the controller I lose the chime on FFXIV that helps me not screw up our group's queuing up. If they take off the light bar, well then instead of doing things like using the controller to indicate your life, or using it for games like Rogue Legacy where you can tell which class it is by looking at the color of the glow, or how much health you have left by the flashing lights, etc... that would be gone.

I like the controller they made. I don't want a slightly bigger DS3 with maybe 1 or 2 extra features I like the DS4.

That's just how it goes. Battery technology is one of the slowest technological advances we have. There's not much Sony could have done, other than remove the light bar, remove the ability to plug headphones into a controller and output all the audio there, etc.

So it's either make a revolutionary controller, or stick to a slightly newer one. If I lose the speaker in the controller I lose the chime on FFXIV that helps me not screw up our group's queuing up. If they take off the light bar, well then instead of doing things like using the controller to indicate your life, or using it for games like Rogue Legacy where you can tell which class it is by looking at the color of the glow, or how much health you have left by the flashing lights, etc... that would be gone.

I like the controller they made. I don't want a slightly bigger DS3 with maybe 1 or 2 extra features I like the DS4.

Exactly. And I still get at least five hours out of my controller each day. I fail to see how that is a negative aspect to the peripheral. There is one thing I've noticed in today's gamers. And that is they are more spoiled and falsely entitled than they have ever been in history. Which is really only a bad thing. It leaves absolutely no room for change, whether it be positive or negative.

Exactly. And I still get at least five hours out of my controller each day. I fail to see how that is a negative aspect to the peripheral. There is one thing I've noticed in today's gamers. And that is they are more spoiled and falsely entitled than they have ever been in history. Which is really only a bad thing. It leaves absolutely no room for change, whether it be positive or negative.

So because i think the controller battery is shitty, that makes me spoiled? Sorry for wanting a controller that lasts longer then 4 hrs. I get more out of my ps3 controller.

So because i think the controller battery is shitty, that makes me spoiled? Sorry for wanting a controller that lasts longer then 4 hrs. I get more out of my ps3 controller.

Yes, Jacky. An overwhelming yes. Playing for five hours straight is, by no means, a bad thing. Especially when suggested break times are 15 minutes for every hour of play. Furthermore, it isn't difficult to plug that little cord into the controller and keep playing. If your setup is too far for you to comfortably do so, then that is a consumer choice and Sony has nothing to do with it. There isn't anything wrong with the battery. You've just been spoiled on a less demanding controller.

And honestly, your Dual Shock 3 did not last for a month. That is a gross exaggeration. I've played the hell out of many PS3 titles and my controller didn't last anywhere near that long.

Yes, Jacky. An overwhelming yes. Playing for five hours straight is, by no means, a bad thing. Especially when suggested break times are 15 minutes for every hour of play. Furthermore, it isn't difficult to plug that little cord into the controller and keep playing. If your setup is too far for you to comfortably do so, then that is a consumer choice and Sony has nothing to do with it. There isn't anything wrong with the battery. You've just been spoiled on a less demanding controller.

And honestly, your Dual Shock 3 did not last for a month. That is a gross exaggeration. I've played the hell out of many PS3 titles and my controller didn't last anywhere near that long.

Actually it has lasted that long, many a times.
Whether or not you choose to believe me is not my problem, but the quality of a battery for any item matters and the ps4 controller battery just sucks. My brothers cbone controller has lasted longer then that. I'm not gonnare arrange the furniture in my house either so that i can keep it hooked up to play. Not to mention having to put my ps on standby when i'm done in order to charge it is just a nuisance. Unlike the ps3 which i can turn off and leave off and still have the controller charge. I'm not being spoiled, but if i'm gonna pay 400 dollars for a system i expect it all parts of it to be worth the buy. I don't expect you to agree with me at all, because well you rarely ever do.

Last edited:
Whether or not you choose to believe me is not my problem, but the quality of a battery for any item matters and the ps4 controller battery just sucks. My brothers cbone controller has lasted longer then that. I'm not gonnare arrange the furniture in my house either so that i can keep it hooked up to play. Not to mention having to put my ps on standby when i'm done in order to charge it is just a nuisance. Unlike the ps3 which i can turn off and leave off and still have the controller charge. I'm not being spoiled, but if i'm gonna pay 400 dollars for a system i expect it all parts of it to be worth the buy. I don't expect you to agree with me at all, because well you rarely ever do.
I just feel after so many hours of gaming, it's probably not a bad idea to plug it in for a few hours. Yes the controller battery life isn't good. Welcome to Physics. The speaker is too important to give up on FFXIV. The light bar I use to find stuff without having to turn on lights, or to read the security token on my Security Token for FFXIV.

The Xbone controller lasts longer but I wouldn't have anything to play on the damn thing so that's irrelevant to someone like me who has a bunch of cross buy and free PS4 upgrades and all that jazz.

So yeah the PS4 can't possibly be perfect for every single person ever. They are making 3rd party battery packs, and some people will have to run cables around so they can plug it in on the couch. That's just how things work sometimes

I just feel after so many hours of gaming, it's probably not a bad idea to plug it in for a few hours. Yes the controller battery life isn't good. Welcome to Physics. The speaker is too important to give up on FFXIV. The light bar I use to find stuff without having to turn on lights, or to read the security token on my Security Token for FFXIV.

The Xbone controller lasts longer but I wouldn't have anything to play on the damn thing so that's irrelevant to someone like me who has a bunch of cross buy and free PS4 upgrades and all that jazz.

So yeah the PS4 can't possibly be perfect for every single person ever. They are making 3rd party battery packs, and some people will have to run cables around so they can plug it in on the couch. That's just how things work sometimes

Bingo. They can't custom tailor all these awesome devices to fit every individual need of the people using them. We would then have some extremely awful crap. As you've said before, I'll take a controller with new features and smaller battery life any day. I have two and know how to charge them.

And I don't care if you don't care, Jacky. I call nonsense on the month battery life. Why? Extensive hands-on use and testing with multiple controllers. The DualShock 3 battery just wasn't that good. You were using some third party piece if they were.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"