PS4 Controller Hardware Problems

Bingo. They can't custom tailor all these awesome devices to fit every individual need of the people using them. We would then have some extremely awful crap. As you've said before, I'll take a controller with new features and smaller battery life any day. I have two and know how to charge them.

And I don't care if you don't care, Jacky. I call nonsense on the month battery life. Why? Extensive hands-on use and testing with multiple controllers. The DualShock 3 battery just wasn't that good. You were using some third party piece if they were.

I don't use third party pieces with my systems unless we're refering to the mic. Like i said i am, not looking for you to believe me because i could care less. However the fact does remain that the battery for the ps3 controller does last longer then the ps4's. A last gen controller lasting longer then a next gen one, doesn't look good for that next gen controller. same goes for the way you chatge it when it's not in use, put the system on standby so that it can charge vs turning off the system and the controller still charges. The latter is definitely more appealing.

Last edited:
I don't use third party pieces with my systems unless we're refering to the mic. Like i said i am, not looking for you to believe me because i could care less. However the fact does remain that the battery for the ps3 controller does last longer then the ps4's. A last gen controller lasting longer then a next gen one, doesn't look good for that next gen controller. same goes for the way you chatge it when it's not in use, put the system on standby so that it can charge vs turning off the system and the controller still charges. The latter is definitely more appealing.

A simple $20 piece would solve your woes. Charger stand. But I imagine that just isn't good enough for you either. The battery life doesn't affect the overall opinion that the DualShock 4 is the best controller to exist since the GCN controller. So in reality the lower battery life doesn't actually put any negative connotations on the DualShock 4.

From personal experience with the DS4 controller most I have ever gotten was about 6 hrs with the led set to minimum. Hopefully that they would release a better battery for the DS4 because the DS3 you can still play games without the battery with an usb cable at least.

From personal experience with the DS4 controller most I have ever gotten was about 6 hrs with the led set to minimum. Hopefully that they would release a better battery for the DS4 because the DS3 you can still play games without the battery with an usb cable at least.

You can do that with the DualShock 4.

Good to know with the DS4 only because I didn't want risk messing up the controller

You aren't going to mess up a controller with intended use. You'll be able to charge it while playing if you get the cord in.

Mess up a controller whose battery is already messed up.
The battery works completely fine. Not a thing wrong with it. It merely has a usage life you don't agree with.

You aren't going to mess up a controller with intended use. You'll be able to charge it while playing if you get the cord in.

The battery works completely fine. Not a thing wrong with it. It merely has a usage life you don't agree with.

It's a low quality pos mediocre battery, the fact that the power for the ps3 controller lasts longer then the ps4 controller is NOT a good thing, if anything the ps4 controller should be more powerful the then ds3, yet It's
Not.

I meant by taking the controller apart.

I meant by taking the controller apart.

That is something you should never do. Under any circumstance.

It's a low quality pos mediocre battery, the fact that the power for the ps3 controller lasts longer then the ps4 controller is NOT a good thing, if anything the ps4 controller should be more powerful the then ds3, yet It's
Not.

You're actually sounding like a whiny twelve year old right now, Jacky. The controller does more than the DualShock 3. 5-7 hours is certainly nothing to moan about. You aren't taking all of the factors into account here. Which is just silly.

Would probably have to ask Sony on that one. Both of mine wore down to smooth and slippery within a few months (that thin little layer on top rubs off pretty easily), and not sure if that alone is enough to get it fixed. It very well could be, but I let it be and eventually the rubber tore completely through to the point where the plastic below was exposed, giving me no choice at that point. Probably because of the way I use the controller, because both were on the sides of the sticks, closer to the buttons. I didn't take a picture of mine, but this is similar to what mine was like.

DS4.jpg
One of my controllers just started doing this while I was playing The Evil Within during my Extra Life marathon a couple weekends ago. Maybe I should send it in before it's too late. :XX

One of my controllers just started doing this while I was playing The Evil Within during my Extra Life marathon a couple weekends ago. Maybe I should send it in before it's too late. :XX

They will repair it for free, you'll just have to pay for shipping. After a long time of no problems, both of my Day 1 controllers have had the rubber fail. And the second controller has now developed a faulty R2 button. However, my new controller from the first "repair" (it has a different serial number) is working great since I received it. Not even a remote hint of wear on it.

That is something you should never do. Under any circumstance.

You're actually sounding like a whiny twelve year old right now, Jacky. The controller does more than the DualShock 3. 5-7 hours is certainly nothing to moan about. You aren't taking all of the factors into account here. Which is just silly.

Apparently you chose to ignore the other person who seems to agree with me, so obviously i'm not the only who is disappointed in the battery life, and the fact that A next gen controllers battery can't even last longer then the previous gen, is sad. As far as the whiney little twelve year old remark goes, i honestly thought you wouldn't go the troll the troll route but i see i was wrong. Because when trolls don't hear what they want or if people don't agree with them they start throwing insults and calling people names. You aren't a troll so please don't start acting like ben. If you don't like what someone has to say or agree with them, then just agree to disagree. I'm not the only one disappointed in it's pos battery life, that doesn't make it a bad controller but it also doesn't make it a good one. Other people, like you, seem to think otherwise which is fine. Good for you,
Enjoy it. However if i'm gonna pay an extensive amount of money i expect quality perfomance from everything, including the battery. Sure the controller is durable. can it do w/out the touch pad? Yes. Does the battery suck? Yes. But whatever, our opinions differ. End of story.

Last edited:
Apparently you chose to ignore the other person who seems to agree with me, so obviously i'm not the only who is disappointed in the battery life, and the fact that A next gen controllers battery can't even last longer then the previous gen, is sad. As far as the whiney little twelve year old remark goes, i honestly thought you wouldn't go the troll the troll route but i see i was wrong. Because when trolls don't hear what they want or if people don't agree with them they start throwing insults and calling people names. You aren't a troll so please don't start acting like ben. If you don't like what someone has to say or agree with them, then just agree to disagree. I'm not the only one disappointed in it's pos battery life, that doesn't make it a bad controller but it also doesn't make it a good one. Other people, like you, seem to think otherwise which is fine. Good for you,
Enjoy it. However if i'm gonna pay an extensive amount of money i expect quality perfomance from everything, including the battery. Sure the controller is durable. can it do w/out the touch pad? Yes. Does the battery suck? Yes. But whatever, our opinions differ. End of story.

So I went and looked at many of my different controllers.

Warning the first one is not a typo.

30 mAh = The Sixaxis. You know that controller that came with the system. The one that had no rumble. The light cheap feeling one?

300 mAh = DS4 the controller I bought when they first came out with rumble.

500 mAh = DS4 Target Exclusive Red controller

800 mAh = Playstation Move Controller.

800 mAh = PS4 controller. You know the thing that has all the features and functionality of a move controller, a regular controller AND it can stream all of your audio wirelessly to the device itself or just the chat audio, making it easier for people who don't have expensive fancy headsets to play games with headphones jacks with any pair of headphones?

If Rumble alone is enough to multiply the required battery size by 10x, and the move is the same battery size but without rumble, how much do you think it takes for all that in 1 PLUS audio streaming wirelessly?

You are just utterly hyperbolic.

The troll, is you in this situation. Sony can't redesign battery physics. So how much of a mAh would they have to put in to make you happy?

How many features would they have to remove?

So I went and looked at many of my different controllers.

Warning the first one is not a typo.

30 mAh = The Sixaxis. You know that controller that came with the system. The one that had no rumble. The light cheap feeling one?

300 mAh = DS4 the controller I bought when they first came out with rumble.

500 mAh = DS4 Target Exclusive Red controller

800 mAh = Playstation Move Controller.

800 mAh = PS4 controller. You know the thing that has all the features and functionality of a move controller, a regular controller AND it can stream all of your audio wirelessly to the device itself or just the chat audio, making it easier for people who don't have expensive fancy headsets to play games with headphones jacks with any pair of headphones?

If Rumble alone is enough to multiply the required battery size by 10x, and the move is the same battery size but without rumble, how much do you think it takes for all that in 1 PLUS audio streaming wirelessly?

You are just utterly hyperbolic.

The troll, is you in this situation. Sony can't redesign battery physics. So how much of a mAh would they have to put in to make you happy?

How many features would they have to remove?

Those are YOUR controllers, as i told arthur we obviously disagree, though i am not the only who dislikes the battery life. People don't agree with you oh well, you won't change my mind on my opinion of the battery being to short. And seeing as how you refuse to let the topic go, it shows me that your just pissed because i don't share the same opinion. We don't agree, let it go. God you're like a kid holding a grudge.

Those are YOUR controllers, as i told arthur we obviously disagree, though i am not the only who dislikes the battery life. People don't agree with you oh well, you won't change my mind on my opinion of the battery being to short. And seeing as how you refuse to let the topic go, it shows me that your just pissed because i don't share the same opinion. We don't agree, let it go. God you're like a kid holding a grudge.
What do my controllers have to do with anything?

They are just controllers. That's all they are is freaking controllers. I'm just explaining why the battery life is different from last gen to this gen. I'm not pissed I'm using facts. Can you not understand what facts are?

My argument is not that the battery life is perfect, or that it's not shorter than last gen. I'm saying that your complaints are incoherent. Learn the difference. Your'e the one who is outraged. I'm being reasonable and measured.

Last edited:
What do my controllers have to do with anything?

They are just controllers. That's all they are is freaking controllers. I'm just explaining why the battery life is different from last gen to this gen. I'm not pissed I'm using facts. Can you not understand what facts are?

My argument is not that the battery life is perfect, or that it's not shorter than last gen. I'm saying that your complaints are incoherent. Learn the difference. Your'e the one who is outraged. I'm being reasonable and measured.

Ok, time out kiddies.

I' e been following this post for awhile and i'm gonna step in. First off about the two controllers in question and the batteries. I ran my OWN experiment. Now i wake up everyday at 8am, so i decided to charge overnight then put each controller to use when i woke up.
Now the ps4 controller started out ok but around 12:30pm it turned yellow on me and by 1pm had shut down on me completely. So that's roughly 5-6 hrs, so apparently no exagerration on her (jacky's) part as far as the ps4 controller goes. Now the ps3 controller is still running fine, no problems. Apparently it's battery actually is better.

No other controllers were brought into question makai so you didn't need to go off and test so many, and the fact you have all those is beyond me.

Now, to say that the battery life sucks on the ps4 should really be seen as opinion, i know plenty of people who dislike it and plenty of others who don't. Personally i think it depends on the type of gamer you are.

The gamers out there that are hardcore and like to game for long periods of time might not like the battery length, however other gamers out there who don't game as long or as often may not find it to much of a problem and find the battery acceptable. There is no right or wrong answer in this case accept for the length of time between two controllers. You are both worked up trying to prove each other wrong even if neither one of you see's it.
I'm not taking either side but seriously, this is getting old. BOTH OF YOU.

You can both be angry at me, you can both disagree, i don't really care. However it's getting old. So lets move on.

Last edited:

I'm not trolling you. You're just coming off as a whiny brat in this instance. And you not liking me pointing that out made you react even more so.

Now, just because you don't like the battery life fails to mean it has a bad battery life. Technology advances, Jacky. Whether you want it to or not is highly irrelevant. And with more power comes, you guessed it, more power usage. I'm in no way angry at you and you really seem to be the only one getting in any sort of similar mood. I game roughly 7+ hours a day, Jacky. And the 5-7 hours I get on a controller is more than acceptable.

You are oversimplifying the issue and refusing to see the facts on it. The controller calls for more, so it uses more. Batteries haven't caught up to meet that particular demand yet. It has nothing to do with Sony's design.

Ok, time out kiddies.

I' e been following this post for awhile and i'm gonna step in. First off about the two controllers in question and the batteries. I ran my OWN experiment. Now i wake up everyday at 8am, so i decided to charge overnight then put each controller to use when i woke up.
Now the ps4 controller started out ok but around 12:30pm it turned yellow on me and by 1pm had shut down on me completely. So that's roughly 5-6 hrs, so apparently no exagerration on her (jacky's) part as far as the ps4 controller goes. Now the ps3 controller is still running fine, no problems. Apparently it's battery actually is better.

No other controllers were brought into question makai so you didn't need to go off and test so many, and the fact you have all those is beyond me.

Now, to say that the battery life sucks on the ps4 should really be seen as opinion, i know plenty of people who dislike it and plenty of others who don't. Personally i think it depends on the type of gamer you are.

The gamers out there that are hardcore and like to game for long periods of time might not like the battery length, however other gamers out there who don't game as long or as often may not find it to much of a problem and find the battery acceptable. There is no right or wrong answer in this case accept for the length of time between two controllers. You are both worked up trying to prove each other wrong even if neither one of you see's it.
I'm not taking either side but seriously, this is getting old. BOTH OF YOU.

You can both be angry at me, you can both disagree, i don't really care. However it's getting old. So lets move on.

I brought up other controllers as a way to compare battery life. the battery life is short but USING MORE POWER FOR ALL THE FEATURES does not equal crappy battery.

it's not my fault you guys are strawmanning my argument.

This post is old now but I just realized I never gave an update on how this turned out for me....
I ended up ignoring all the good advice you guys tried to give me (It was good advice!), and I performed surgery on my controllers. I ended up getting both of them to work just fine. My R2 and L2 buttons are now more sensitive than normal since I ended up removing the spring in both of them, but other than occasionally causing me to waste a few bullets in Destiny, this has not been a problem for me at all. It was also very easy to do. Sending the controllers to Sony is probably the best option, but I went from having no working controllers to two, so I'm satisfied.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"