Sony Customer Service Nightmare Continues . . .

RangerETx

PSLS Level: Newbie
I finally was able to get a PS4 on February 22nd.

On April 18th, after maybe 2 hours a week worth of use, my console broke. It was never dropped or anything. But that didn't stop the disc drive from failing completely. I called and set up the console up for service. I was given #01132111.

The return process was a huge hassle. I got the shipping box 5 days after I started my service request. I boxed it up according to Sony's instructions. I live in a rural area, so FedEx pick up was not an option. I had to drive 30 miles to a FedEx Ground drop off location. I tried tracking the package using the tracking number Sony gave me but the tracking number wouldn't work.

On May 2nd, I got a console returned to me. They didn't send my console back to me. Instead, they sent a refurbished console. This was annoying by itself as it resulted in complete loss of all my game saves (all of which are available for cheap on eBay now). The console they sent me was a refurbished one.

Eager to get back to playing, I plugged it in immediately. To my absolute shock, the console didn't work. It powered up but would not send any signal to my TV. I tried trading out HDMI cables. It didn't work. I plugged my laptop into the same HDMI port and my TV got the signal. It was clear that the PS4 was broken. I attempted to power the console off so I could get the serial number off the bottom of it. The console wouldn't power off. I ended up having to physically disconnect it from the power to get it turned off.

Immediately, I called the Sony customer service number. I chose not to use the online chat because I wanted to make sure I got this new service report expedited. After almost an hour, I was put through to a customer service representative. The person I spoke with said that he couldn't expedite it but that a manager could. He was very sympathetic.

I waited another half hour to speak with a manager. The manager said there was nothing she could do. She stated that Sony stopped expediting repairs after their system launch fiasco. I pointed out to her that this was not an initial repair. That they had sent me a broken console instead of repairing my first one. Her response was "how do you know FedEx didn't break it".

She said no exception could be made. So I asked to speak to her supervisor. That supervisor refused to deviate from the script. No matter what question I asked, I was told that a box would be shipped to me in the next 3 to 5 business days. The supervisor said what happened to me was not fair but that my console repair would be performed in the order in which it was received, regardless of the fact that my original customer service complaint had occurred 2 weeks earlier.

Today (Sunday May 4), I called the customer service line again. I asked to speak to a manager. This time I had copies of articles on IGN and Gamespot discussing the expedited PS4 repairs at launch. The manager I spoke to, David EID#7559, said that he had no knowledge of any PS4s ever having their repairs expedited. When I referenced the IGN and Gamespot articles, he said he couldn't confirm that. He stated that he would "put a special note" in the case so that the processing center would "do extra tests to make sure they sent me a working console this time". The service center is "really backed up" though, and I shouldn't expect my console to be repaired in less than 7 to 10 days. I asked him why that wasn't done the first time and he didn't have an answer.

I was plenty upset by that point, so I asked to speak with his manager. He said he was in charge of the entire call center. I asked him to give me the phone number of the person he reported to then. He said he couldn't. I asked him for an email address, he said he couldn't. I asked him why the person in charge of the entire call center wouldn't have any ability to deal with customer complaints, and he went back in to reading his script.

By the time I get my console back, It will have likely been at least 2 months since I've had a working console. At no point did Sony offer any compensation for the enormous inconvenience they put me through. They didn't even offer to give me a credit on my PlaysStation Plus subscription for the time month (soon to be 2 months) that I haven't been able to use it.

At no point did any of the managers show any sympathy. Sony has my money and now they don't care. If anybody has a phone number for a corporate Sony complaint location or any advice at all for dealing with this situation I'd really appreciate. It seems pretty clear to me that Sony just wants me to go buy a new PS4.

If you are reading this and you haven't bought a PS4, don't do it until Sony improves its customer service program. From here on out, I will never purchase a game on my PS4 if it is also available on Xbox One.

Well I'm sorry you are having so many issues bro. Though I saw the posts of yours on Twitter, so happy it could possibly end better. Only time will tell though.

If anybody has a phone number for a corporate Sony complaint location or any advice at all for dealing with this situation I'd really appreciate.
I found two links that might help you: Sony eSupport Customer Relations and Contact Options for the Official PlayStation site.

Keep us updated on how this goes! If you continue to have trouble, I would recommend visiting Sony's corporate website and browsing through its various contact options. The Official PlayStation forums might or might not be a help, too.

dunno what to say except, customer service can only do so much. normally if you call a customer service hotline to much though they eventually start to ignore you. the customer service has always been awesome with me, but it's no surprise that the system had a malfunction. technically all the systems out now could be considered beta systems. we probably won't see the finished version until next year. right now everybody who owns one could more or less technically consider themselves beta testers. I know that hearing that pisses people off, but.........
anywho, I hope things turn out ok for you in the end though. I really do.

So, some messages to @AskPlaystation on Twitter resulted in my "case being elevated". I was given a number to call today to get everything taken care of. Turns out, "elevated case status" only means additional notes to try really hard to send me a working system.

To be clear - this experience has been terrible because I played by their rules once. I sent my system in and they sent me back a different system that was already broken. Instead of getting to skip to the front of repair line, I get put at the end like my system had never been broken before.

The elevated case status has no real meaning as far as I can tell. I would have hoped that Sony would have at least sent me a console with 2-day shipping or something, but no. They didn't even offer me some half-hearted gesture like a free weeklong PlayStation Plus pas. My Xbox 360 got the Red Ring of Death twice and Microsoft at least had the courtesy to send me a free month of Xbox Live.

I think my expectations would be ridiculous if this were just the first time the console broke, but I find the fact they sent me a broken console to replace my broken console ridiculous. I have to be part of a very small minority in that respect and I can't believe Sony won't give me even a little bit of help or offer a meager consolation.

Well, they've put in place measures on our end to ensure we get the best customer service. And that would be the various warranties out there. I got the 36 months accident policy which pretty much covers everything.

However, they shouldn't have sent a refurbished PS4. Just makes no sense to me. I'm sure it is "cost effective" in some legal jargon somewhere. But, to me, I would think sending the customer a new PS4 just makes more sense. I imagine those have a slightly higher success rate.

And do remember, Sony is huge. Which means they have a gigantic QA testing department. Meaning the PS4 they sent you, at some point in their testing, worked flawlessly. It may have been damaged in packing or shipping at some point.

Just tough it out and don't let this ruin your PlayStation experience. This is a very, very rare situation and occurrence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"