What Does The PlayStation App Need?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Central' started by BigPete7978, Mar 31, 2014.

1. BigPete7978

BigPete7978 PSLS Level: Silver

PSN:
    BigPete7978
    While yes I really like the addition of the Official PlayStation App for smartphones there can always be improvements made with the app itself. Personally I would like to see the following:

• Ability to access the store and make purchases within the app
    • Being able to change profile, avatar, etc. from within the app
    • Have a tablet version of the app (iPad, Android, etc.)
    What would you like to see added?

Lifewish likes this.
  2. Chandler Wood

Chandler Wood Get Off My Wood Staff Member

PSN:
    Wedge19
    All of this. The fact that the app is just a hub that takes you to web based versions of the store and streaming sucks. It all needs to be contained in the app itself.
    I expected that it would have more usefulness, but I hardly ever use it. It needs to be full featured and truly an extension of the PlayStation platform in mobile form.

I would love more side apps loaded into it as well that give you a better experience when away from your PS4 (ie. Being able to earn experience or similar on your mobile and transfer that into your game).

Lifewish likes this.
  3. Lifewish

Lifewish 중재자 Staff Member

PSN:
    lifewish
    I think I have used the app maybe 10 times total since it released and that was to buy something once (a real pain to do) and send some messages to people.

I will echo what you both said, it needs the ability to edit your PSN information, avatar, etc.

4. BigPete7978

PSN:
    BigPete7978
    And that's the thing outside of adding people to my friends list or messaging friends I haven't used the app at all really for anything other than those two things. When they were teasing what the PS4 experience would be like they hinted at a much more social experience. They could really have a special app here that becomes a social experience for gamers if they put the time and effort into it.

5. Vinomen

Vinomen PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    Vinomen
    I would also like to be able to see my Friends Activity just like on the PS4 XMB, show me whata they are playing and what trophies they have acquired so i can comment or give them a thumbs up, because I rarely ever use that feature on my actual PS4 because I want to play games. I would be much more inclined to use the social aspect on my phone when I'm putzing around.

6. Jacky

Jacky PSLS Level: Silver

PSN:
    ScoobyPup01
    can't think of anything off the top of my head, but room there's always room for improvement, and new additions care almost always nice.

7. PolarBearTC

PolarBearTC PSLS Level: Newbie

PSN:
    tazinlwfl
    I would like to be able to better control the PS4 (a la Apple's Remote app on iOS), but also be able to launch specific apps. Like, have a "Netflix" button, or any other non-gaming apps. Having two separate sections for navigation and keyboard is just bad.

8. Big Head

Big Head PSLS Level: Bronze

The opportunity to update your location for near, sans Vita in hand.

9. stolenxnametag

stolenxnametag PSLS Level: Kraken PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    arithrottle
    Cross chat with PS4 and Vita players

I can already send / receive messages and attachments via the app, but it would be awesome to just be like, "Yo guys, don't go anywhere! I'll be home in 10 minutes. By the way, who else is playing tonight? It's not that 5 year old with the lag switch, is it?"

PSN Store

A PSN store within the app would be great, too. I hate that it just sends me to the web browser.

10. Arthur Sataine

Arthur Sataine PSLS Level: Bronze PSLS Ambassador

PSN:
    ArthurSataine
    Maybe a more streamlined store? At the moment I'm fine with it. I use it to either chat with friends while I'm at work or to purchase and instruct my ps4 ( in sleep mode) to download titles or content.

senor_flojo likes this.
  11. Matt_Senpai

Matt_Senpai PSLS Level: Bronze

PSN:
    anti-altair16
    The next update (1.7 me thinks) is going to allow you to change your profile picture. Whether it also changes your avatar isn't known but hey, at least that's coming. Using your profile pic on Facebook sometimes doesn't work.

12. senor_flojo

senor_flojo PSLS Level: Bronze

It works great for messages.

I understand the need to use external web interface in order to save money on development. I'm sure they'll patch it over time.

13. BigPete7978

PSN:
    BigPete7978
    They just updated the app for iOS.

14. BigPete7978

PSN:
    BigPete7978
    It's finally compatible with the iPad!!!

senor_flojo likes this.