Frame rate, does 60fps really matter?

Spycke83

PSLS Level: Bronze
I`m wonder what everyone`s oppinion is on this? I don`t think it does to a certian degree. I just picked up TLOU Remastered and had to lock it at 30fps. I found that it was too stuttery and it distracted from what should be an amazing experience.

I never even heard `frames per second`mentioned before the current generation of consoles and i`m curious as to what other people think.

My opinion is if the devs think that 60fps is something that they need in thier game and that can acheive it without sacrificing graphics or content or textures then i`m fine with it. If they decide that 60fps isn`t doable without the sacrifices then great. The devs are the ones making the games, not me. they know what it takes to reach certain milestones. I don`t want them throwing 60 fps around just to make the entitled gamer happy. If FPS is such an issue then buy the game on PC.

I never played a game in the past and cursed the game for not being consistantly smoother. I have cursed a game (racers were bad) for it stuttering and me crashing (it could be my driving in the games but i blame it on the stuttering). I would have much rathered a lower frame rate and it be stable than it pushing the limits of what the devs could do.

I tend to think that entirely too much emphasis is placed on FPS, as well as resolution. Every time I read an article lately it's about how a game can't do this, or how it is so many FPS on PS4, while being lower on Xbox One. Same with resolution as well.

If a game is fun it is fun, regardless of frames per second or resolution.

I tend to think that entirely too much emphasis is placed on FPS, as well as resolution. Every time I read an article lately it's about how a game can't do this, or how it is so many FPS on PS4, while being lower on Xbox One. Same with resolution as well.

For sure. I read the article about the Moto GP game not being 60fps and I think it's dumb that it's even a question they have to answer and then justify

Too much emphasis is placed on fps and resolution, yes. I will agree there.

BUT - Going from 60 fps, then locking it to 30 in TLOUR, I noticed that the motion was not nearly as smooth. So yes, there is somewhat of a difference when comparing back to back.

I will say that I did notice it when I locked it to 30fps but that is way less distracting to me than the stuttering I had in it. I kept trying to play it with 60fps but i just couldn`t do it.

Framerate has been a big issue for me ever since I played both the PS3 and 360 versions of Bayonetta. It's not something I had paid a lot of attention to before that point, but it's a prevalent complaint for me ever since. 60fps is ideal, 30 locked is passable, anything below is quite straining. That's not to say that a game is unplayable (since some of my favorite titles from the 7th gen like Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Nier had absolutely horrid frame rates), but if given the option I'll always choose a game on a platform with the best performance (which is on my PC most of the time unless the game is console exclusive).

Framerate has been a big issue for me ever since I played both the PS3 and 360 versions of Bayonetta. It's not something I had paid a lot of attention to before that point, but it's a prevalent complaint for me ever since. 60fps is ideal, 30 locked is passable, anything below is quite straining. That's not to say that a game is unplayable (since some of my favorite titles from the 7th gen like Demon's Souls, Dragon's Dogma, and Nier had absolutely horrid frame rates), but if given the option I'll always choose a game on a platform with the best performance (which is on my PC most of the time unless the game is console exclusive).

I can only imagine bayonetta, devil may cry 4, and metal gear rising would be great with 60fps given how they have fast gameplay. Even deadpool would probably benefit from that. Was vanquish 60fps? I don't remember.

For me its good but its not what makes me buy or reject a game even on current gen. I can see the difference and for me is not something out of this world but it does improve my enjoyment. Some people fight over this over and over and over again but in the end if the game looks good and plays good then it doesn't matter that much.

This guy knows what he is talking about. Agree with you Pete.

I think 60 fps, and the best performance possible is very important. I think they should always try to achieve that goal the best they can without sacrifice. That said, it won't prevent me from buying the game if it's not at X fps or at X res.

I`m not oppose to the devs aiming high for fps and res. I just think that too mane people are putting too much enphasis on fps especially and that some of the devs are therefore stretching thier resources too much and the playablility may suffer from it. I like the way that Naughty Dog handled it with TLOU: Remastered where you can lock it at 30fps. I can defintaely notice a difference between the 2 settings but if it was only 30fps wouold I really think that I was missing anything?

Like i said. before i think it depends on the type of game. Certains games that require fast gameplay would certainly benefit from it.

I`m not oppose to the devs aiming high for fps and res. I just think that too mane people are putting too much enphasis on fps especially and that some of the devs are therefore stretching thier resources too much and the playablility may suffer from it. I like the way that Naughty Dog handled it with TLOU: Remastered where you can lock it at 30fps. I can defintaely notice a difference between the 2 settings but if it was only 30fps wouold I really think that I was missing anything?

I know that ND should have stated the reason you can choose 30fps locked as an option is because the 60fps fluctuates. Their PR response is that 30fps was for those that wanted to enjoy the PS3 experience of slower fps. I am playing it unlocked, and I am am thoroughly enjoying it.

Last generation they didn't mention 30-60 FPS because the consoles had 256MB of RAMx2 and the CPUs could only do so much. You need memory to keep things stored until they are ready to be computed by the CPU, and 60fps is really hard to do if you don't have the power, or the buffer zone. Same with resolution.

Now Resolution makes a HUGE difference for something like Final Fantasy XIV on PS3/4. The game is night and day different.

I'm sure the reason why BigPete is getting upset at the articles is because he has an Xbox One and there's always a caveat that the Xbox One version is running a bit lesser.

Take Diablo 3 for instance. 9 times out of 10 without them running side by side are you really going to be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 900p? Probably not.

Well yes and no. It really depends on who you ask, honestly. To some people, 60fps is too important to lose. Ask any competitive Call of Duty player that and they would agree. Having that fluidity just helps things roll along much more smoothly.

Also, from personal experience, I can definitely say I've become a better shot in The Last of Us on PS4 compared to the PS3. The increased frame rate has helped my aiming a lot. I can't really explain why too much, but I just know that it definitely has, because I can use certain weapons now that I could never use in the PS3. Overall, yeah, frame rate and resolution are thrown around way too often when marketing a new game, but in a lot of cases, it can really make an impact on some games. All of them? No, definitely not. But certainly a few, at the very least.

Well yes and no. It really depends on who you ask, honestly. To some people, 60fps is too important to lose. Ask any competitive Call of Duty player that and they would agree. Having that fluidity just helps things roll along much more smoothly.

Also, from personal experience, I can definitely say I've become a better shot in The Last of Us on PS4 compared to the PS3. The increased frame rate has helped my aiming a lot. I can't really explain why too much, but I just know that it definitely has, because I can use certain weapons now that I could never use in the PS3. Overall, yeah, frame rate and resolution are thrown around way too often when marketing a new game, but in a lot of cases, it can really make an impact on some games. All of them? No, definitely not. But certainly a few, at the very least.
Are those Call of Duty players console players or PC players. When everyone is capped at a certain resolution it doesn't really matter to be honest. When some people are higher frame rates and some people are lower frame rates, it makes a huge difference.

There's basically a PC mentality that you shouldn't even bother playing a game unless you can run it at 1080p 60fps. The PC player mentality is why I just don't like playing PC games much anymore. You have assholes that sit there and tell you can build a PC better than a PS4, for the same price as the PS4, and then they give you a motherboard CPU combo that's $200, and now you're skeptical that you're going to hit 8GB of RAM, a power supply, case, 1TB HDD, and all of that within the last $200.

People would sit there and say "Oh it's impossible to run this game at max settings" and then someone else sits there and claims they get 90fps at max settings. PC players used to be more understanding and less like the braggart car enthusiast.

PC players back in the day would tell you what to disable to bump up the biggest FPS gain with the smallest quality loss, now they're more like "Well just buy a new rig, that thing is on it's last"

Every time there's a PC versus Console argument it's not about what's best for a person, it's "Oh well PC is just better all around" Then you have to explain that you play Borderlands 2 with your wife and you'd rather not have to build 2 PCs and buy 2 copies and all the DLC 2 times or pirate just to play the game with your wife.

The best solution obviously is to have a PS4, and a PC and make the decision on a game by game basis. I try to argue that, and it's like I just told a Catholic that communion has made me wonder what real flesh and blood tastes like. I just get blank stares.

Are those Call of Duty players console players or PC players. When everyone is capped at a certain resolution it doesn't really matter to be honest. When some people are higher frame rates and some people are lower frame rates, it makes a huge difference.

There's basically a PC mentality that you shouldn't even bother playing a game unless you can run it at 1080p 60fps. The PC player mentality is why I just don't like playing PC games much anymore. You have assholes that sit there and tell you can build a PC better than a PS4, for the same price as the PS4, and then they give you a motherboard CPU combo that's $200, and now you're skeptical that you're going to hit 8GB of RAM, a power supply, case, 1TB HDD, and all of that within the last $200.

People would sit there and say "Oh it's impossible to run this game at max settings" and then someone else sits there and claims they get 90fps at max settings. PC players used to be more understanding and less like the braggart car enthusiast.

PC players back in the day would tell you what to disable to bump up the biggest FPS gain with the smallest quality loss, now they're more like "Well just buy a new rig, that thing is on it's last"

Every time there's a PC versus Console argument it's not about what's best for a person, it's "Oh well PC is just better all around" Then you have to explain that you play Borderlands 2 with your wife and you'd rather not have to build 2 PCs and buy 2 copies and all the DLC 2 times or pirate just to play the game with your wife.

The best solution obviously is to have a PS4, and a PC and make the decision on a game by game basis. I try to argue that, and it's like I just told a Catholic that communion has made me wonder what real flesh and blood tastes like. I just get blank stares.

I guess I was mostly just referring to how higher frame-rates can, in some cases, offer a better experience for high-precision games such as racers and shooters. Again, this doesn't apply to everyone, but regardless of the platform, those things can make a genuine difference to certain people and not matter at all to others.

I guess I was mostly just referring to how higher frame-rates can, in some cases, offer a better experience for high-precision games such as racers and shooters. Again, this doesn't apply to everyone, but regardless of the platform, those things can make a genuine difference to certain people and not matter at all to others.
Have you tested to see if you perform as good with 30 FPS?

There could be other factors than just framerate that make a difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"