Anybody here play guitar?

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
A few hours ago, I decided to clean, polish, and re-string my acoustic guitar. I remembered that the pickup in it hasn't worked for like 8 years or more, so I took it apart, cleaned it, and rewired it. To my surprise, the built in tuner started working again after I replaced the old 9-volt battery.

gerlitzguitarhoney.jpg DunlopFormula65PolishCleaner.png

From there I ambitiously started working on cleaning, using a brush to make sure the Gerlitz Guitar Honey soaked into the rosewood fretboard. I fanned it until it dried, then reapplied the stuff and used some Dunlop No. 65 Guitar Polish & Cleaner on the painted body, back of the neck, and on all of the goods surrounding the headstock.

cleartonephosphorbronzelight.png

I robbed a nut from an input jack on this shitty electric guitar someone gave me to use for parts to put the input jack back into place on the guitar, then began the quest of putting on a new set of Cleartone Phosphor Bronze strings. The truss rod was in no need of adjustment, as the neck was perfectly straight by some miracle. Throughout this process, I realized that both the nut near the tuners and the bridge saddle were looking as if they'd both seen better days, and the bridge pins definitely need some love. I guess that replacing them will be my next journey toward bringing this guitar toward a higher potential.

nut.jpg acousticsaddle.jpg

So my questions for anyone who plays guitar: how hard is it to replace the nut and bridge saddle, and are Graph Tech hardware pieces worth the hype?

Note: Product placement is intentional. I use all of this shit religiously. <3

Doesn't surprise me.
Not only are they a chain, they are a specialty store. Stores like that normally charge an insane amount of money.
The one where I used to work didn't do repairs, so I had no idea how much they would charge for that before asking. Now I'm hitting up local musicians and asking who their guitar guy is. Some of them, unfortunately, get duped into spending hundreds of dollars at GC. That sucks!

The one where I used to work didn't do repairs, so I had no idea how much they would charge for that before asking. Now I'm hitting up local musicians and asking who their guitar guy is. Some of them, unfortunately, get duped into spending hundreds of dollars at GC. That sucks!

Well i asked my uncle for you and he said he'd look into qnything that could help, i know it's not much to go by but i'll try and keep you informed.

Chandler works a call center for some Guitar chain I believe.. so he may be able to answer you.

I do work for two of the largest guitar and music retailers in the US, (perhaps the same one you've linked to and mentioned you worked for ;) ), however I work on the corporate side of things managing analytics and brands, not with the technical side... I can ask around a bit for you though!

I do work for two of the largest guitar and music retailers in the US, (perhaps the same one you've linked to and mentioned you worked for ;) ), however I work on the corporate side of things managing analytics and brands, not with the technical side... I can ask around a bit for you though!

Aren't you required to have some sort of Guitar knowledge and/or play the damn thing??

Aren't you required to have some sort of Guitar knowledge and/or play the damn thing??
Oh sure, I have the knowledge of guitar and I know how to (sorta) play it, but the technical aspect of replacing a bridge saddle and nut are beyond my knowledge. In fact, given @stolenxnametag 's original post, It seems he's got a bit deeper of a knowledge and understanding of the guitar than myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"