Going above and beyond for games

SightfulRage

PSLS Level: Bronze
So today, I went a little out of the way to get a game.

Watching Chandler's stream of MGS:GZ last Thursday and hearing about the story throughout the stream got me itchin' to get back into the series. The only issue was that the best fit for me, The Legacy Collection, was apparently a limited item. I found this out a bit too late in the game. Now a days you can find used copies for about $80+ with new copies over $100 in some cases. I had a hard time pulling the trigger at 45. 80 was a no go. So I scoured the web in hopes of finding a reasonably priced copy. Nothing.

Today my friend sent me a text saying that a Gamestop in a city about 100 miles from me had a copy. I thought about it for a bit and decided to let fate decide what I would do. If the game was still available when I got home from work, I would tell them to hold it for me. If not, hope to find it on the black market sometime down the line.

So I get home and turns out, the copy is still available. Truth be told, if I didn't have my "ways" of getting there, the amount of gas I used on my journey + the game cost would have been over 100+ but in this scenario, I don't pay for my own gas. Plus half of the adventure is the journey and it was taking me into a parts of the state I had never been and always wanted to venture to. So 4 hours later, I got more or less of what I wanted.

CliffsNotes​
*So long story short, I drove a little over 200 miles for a game.*

The take away >>Has anyone ever gone past logical reasoning to get a game?<<

What an awesome story! Glad to see you are getting into the series.

As for whether or not I've driven out of my way, definitely. When LittleBigPlanet originally got pushed back because it needed a patch me and @Steevo drove all the way to Louisiana from Texas to get the game. The GameStop that we preordered it at was refusing to sell it to us, but told is that other GameStops might be selling it. So we called around. And we figured why the hell not when one of the stores in Louisiana said they are selling it and had two copies left, and would even hold it for us since we were driving so far.

My life is a mess right now. I've got at least 5 different gaming franchises I need to get back into. Good thing I have way too much free time on my hands.

But awesome journeys are made better with great company. Anything exciting happen on your way out there?

I remember that for Pokemon Gold Version, my mom told me she would take me to get it on Halloween night only if I got done trick or treating early enough (It was 2 weeks after release, but I had finally saved up enough money by this time), assuming of course that I would be out with friends all night. I think I was 12 or 13 back then? I could do the math, but you know... math.

Anyway, I proved her wrong and cut my trick or treating and time with friends short just so that she would take me over to Target to get the game. I was a very satisfied little gamer that night.

So today, I went a little out of the way to get a game.

Watching Chandler's stream of MGS:GZ last Thursday and hearing about the story throughout the stream got me itchin' to get back into the series. The only issue was that the best fit for me, The Legacy Collection, was apparently a limited item. I found this out a bit too late in the game. Now a days you can find used copies for about $80+ with new copies over $100 in some cases. I had a hard time pulling the trigger at 45. 80 was a no go. So I scoured the web in hopes of finding a reasonably priced copy. Nothing.

Today my friend sent me a text saying that a Gamestop in a city about 100 miles from me had a copy. I thought about it for a bit and decided to let fate decide what I would do. If the game was still available when I got home from work, I would tell them to hold it for me. If not, hope to find it on the black market sometime down the line.

So I get home and turns out, the copy is still available. Truth be told, if I didn't have my "ways" of getting there, the amount of gas I used on my journey + the game cost would have been over 100+ but in this scenario, I don't pay for my own gas. Plus half of the adventure is the journey and it was taking me into a parts of the state I had never been and always wanted to venture to. So 4 hours later, I got more or less of what I wanted.

CliffsNotes​
*So long story short, I drove a little over 200 miles for a game.*

buying import games cost ALOT of money, so if you're willing to pay the price then you must be mad.
I guess that would make me clinically insane. by law I'm not allowed to drive (medical reasons). so I go by whatever means I can to get a game.

Personally, I look for those rare classics that companies seemingly want to omit from the PSN. Like Valkyrie Profile, Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, etc. My point is, I've purchase a few of these off of ebay. While an $80-$100 pricetag makes no sense for an older game. I did it. And honestly have no regrets for it. If I could go back in time I would slap the kid I used to be and not sell Valkyrie Profile in that yard sale. I still haven't found it today. But I shall.

I guess I just think good games are well worth the price. Even if it is double what it once cost.

On a side note, I'm glad Earthbound went on the Wii U VC. It tore my soul a bit, but I sold my original copy for $150+ on ebay. Considering I got it for free in 5th grade, that was $140 profit. (Paid $10 for the Wii U VC release.) I also have Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven stars and E.V.O. The Search for Eden and a few other damn good classics that sell for high. But I'm keeping those. SNES is still hooked up. ;)

I remember that for Pokemon Gold Version, my mom told me she would take me to get it on Halloween night only if I got done trick or treating early enough (It was 2 weeks after release, but I had finally saved up enough money by this time), assuming of course that I would be out with friends all night. I think I was 12 or 13 back then? I could do the math, but you know... math.

Anyway, I proved her wrong and cut my trick or treating and time with friends short just so that she would take me over to Target to get the game. I was a very satisfied little gamer that night.

Did you at least get a good haul that night? You could have the ultimate child experience with a bag of candy and a pokemonfest. Fuel for the gaming session.

Personally, I look for those rare classics that companies seemingly want to omit from the PSN. Like Valkyrie Profile, Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, etc. My point is, I've purchase a few of these off of ebay. While an $80-$100 pricetag makes no sense for an older game. I did it. And honestly have no regrets for it. If I could go back in time I would slap the kid I used to be and not sell Valkyrie Profile in that yard sale. I still haven't found it today. But I shall.

I guess I just think good games are well worth the price. Even if it is double what it once cost.

On a side note, I'm glad Earthbound went on the Wii U VC. It tore my soul a bit, but I sold my original copy for $150+ on ebay. Considering I got it for free in 5th grade, that was $140 profit. (Paid $10 for the Wii U VC release.) I also have Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven stars and E.V.O. The Search for Eden and a few other damn good classics that sell for high. But I'm keeping those. SNES is still hooked up. ;)

I wouldn't have an issue paying double for a quality title. But I have to know that the level of enjoyment will be damn near equal to the original feeling.

When you rebuy titles, do you rebuy used or new?

I wish I still had my SNES hooked up. Or even knew where it was. I need to check around the parent's house next time I go home. Hopefully the package is nestled safely away

Did you at least get a good haul that night? You could have the ultimate child experience with a bag of candy and a pokemonfest. Fuel for the gaming session.

I wouldn't have an issue paying double for a quality title. But I have to know that the level of enjoyment will be damn near equal to the original feeling.

When you rebuy titles, do you rebuy used or new?

I wish I still had my SNES hooked up. Or even knew where it was. I need to check around the parent's house next time I go home. Hopefully the package is nestled safely away

Generally, used. I don't buy into that whole "rated 85+ & new in plastic box" crap on these auction sites. I don't give a damn what arbitrary association rated a game. That doesn't increase its quality to be worth $5000. Those people get a few choice words from me. I make sure a seller is highly rated and that the quality of the item appears to be top notch. Then I purchase. And I have yet to regret doing so.

When Ragnarok Odyssey came out, I just assumed that I would be able to walk into any store that sells video games and buy it. The problem was - the Vita was a new handheld, and a lot of my local video game retailers weren't willing to take that kind of risks.

I drove to 3 GameStops (there are like a million of them in South Jersey), and they all told me the same thing, "We're only selling pre-orders. The company doesn't let us stock too many extra Vita games in our inventories, especially niche titles like that one." Finally, I asked them to check for the closest store that it.

From there, I drove another hour and a half to some shitty rathole place where I had never been before, and there were two copies available; I bought the Mercenary Edition for another $10, because I felt it was justified.

When LittleBigPlanet originally got pushed back because it needed a patch me and @Steevo drove all the way to Louisiana from Texas to get the game. The GameStop that we preordered it at was refusing to sell it to us, but told is that other GameStops might be selling it. So we called around. And we figured why the hell not when one of the stores in Louisiana said they are selling it and had two copies left, and would even hold it for us since we were driving so far.
That's fucking awesome!

Today my friend sent me a text saying that a Gamestop in a city about 100 miles from me had a copy.
Also fucking awesome!

When Ragnarok Odyssey came out, I just assumed that I would be able to walk into any store that sells video games and buy it. The problem was - the Vita was a new handheld, and a lot of my local video game retailers weren't willing to take that kind of risks.

I drove to 3 GameStops (there are like a million of them in South Jersey), and they all told me the same thing, "We're only selling pre-orders. The company doesn't let us stock too many extra Vita games in our inventories, especially niche titles like that one." Finally, I asked them to check for the closest store that it.

From there, I drove another hour and a half to some shitty rathole place where I had never been before, and there were two copies available; I bought the Mercenary Edition for another $10, because I felt it was justified.

I feel preordering games changed the whole game buying process. I remember as a kid, going to toys R us, and trying my luck with stock. Then Game Stop comes about and opens the preorder can of chaos. In most cases, if you don't preorder, you're SoL if you want the game that day. I got dirty looks from employees walking in and expecting a game to be in stock day of release without a preorder. Game Stops in rathole locations are always the best, though. How is South Jersey as a whole? I've never been to the East coast but from what I hear...

Generally, used. I don't buy into that whole "rated 85+ & new in plastic box" crap on these auction sites. I don't give a damn what arbitrary association rated a game. That doesn't increase its quality to be worth $5000. Those people get a few choice words from me. I make sure a seller is highly rated and that the quality of the item appears to be top notch. Then I purchase. And I have yet to regret doing so.

I hear that. No way I would ever pay for a game near that amount. I'm not interested in displaying the game and 5k is not a price I would pay for any disc/cartridge I plan on using regularly. What is the lowest quality/highest price that you would accept/pay for a game you are hard press to find, Valkyrie Profile for example?

How is South Jersey as a whole? I've never been to the East coast but from what I hear...

It's like most other states where I've lived, except it's expensive as fuck. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't already own a home and make $50k+ annually per two household members.

craziest thing i've done is to try to crack the top ten students in our class (back in my early elementary days) just so my parent could buy me a family computer. I cheated and copied during my classes (STUDYING is a BIG THING for ASIANS) so that i can make it and get that god damn famicom.

But when i got it, i became the most popular guy in class (the next year). and i spent most of that summer with my friends going to our place, instead of me going to their place and having ramen and snow cone parties.

I hear that. No way I would ever pay for a game near that amount. I'm not interested in displaying the game and 5k is not a price I would pay for any disc/cartridge I plan on using regularly. What is the lowest quality/highest price that you would accept/pay for a game you are hard press to find, Valkyrie Profile for example?

The absolute top is $100. And even then I'd think twice about it. But I love that game, it isn't on the PSN, and I love my physical discs. Lightly scratched is the lowest quality I'll take. I need the case, both discs, the manual, and the cover art. For instance, as much as I love Earthbound, I'd never pay what I sold it for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"