Polygon Reports: The Last Of Us on PS4 this Summer

PolarBearTC

PSLS Level: Newbie
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/27/5552756/the-last-of-us-coming-to-ps4-this-summer

I think this is a great idea. Porting TLOU to the PS4 helps Naughty Dog get familiar with the PS4 while they're working on Uncharted, and creates another AAA game in the line-up (sort of like Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition). Would also be nice to see how the AI can improve with the added RAM and maybe with some HDR and improved lighting to make some of those scenes really pop. I don't think they're any 1st party titles that are cross generation (save for some indie/smaller games), so this might give Sony an opportunity to show off the power difference better than a 3rd party dev has been able to.

Then again, it could be a quick port with little changes.

ETA: It also makes sense in retrospect that they haven't really stopped talking about TLOU, even without considering the DLC (the latest articles being the making/balancing of the AI and Ellie).

Last edited:
I think it is a good idea and brings a real quality title to the PS4. I hope they make some changes though to make it a little unique on the ps4, but I could understand if they don't.

Considering how many people love the game on PS3 it would be foolish not to bring it to the PS4. Though I still am playing it, and haven't beaten it yet (like most of my games), the game deserves the praise it has gotten.

I think it will only get bigger with the ability to share it easily with the PS4. Would be curious to see what they've done with the Light bar. Warframe does crazy stuff, with the weapon/element flashing a color every time you shoot. It's pretty cool.

I was thinking using it as a flashlight in TLOU, so in those dark rooms when your flashlight flickers, have the light bar do the same (or go out completely).

I think it will only get bigger with the ability to share it easily with the PS4. Would be curious to see what they've done with the Light bar. Warframe does crazy stuff, with the weapon/element flashing a color every time you shoot. It's pretty cool.

I was thinking using it as a flashlight in TLOU, so in those dark rooms when your flashlight flickers, have the light bar do the same (or go out completely).

Kind of like in Outlast.

Personally, I won't be touching it. I've played it and loved the story, but that was about it. The gameplay wasn't overly exciting or anything. However, there would have been little sense in not bringing it over here considering the wide appeal and acclaim it has. So I'm glad they did so. And for any early adopters who missed the title this will be a fantastic addition. If it holds true, that is.

It makes sense on a business standpoint. It is going to make them money. But I don't agree with it. Everyone raves about how it will be this huge title on the PS4, which is great, but shouldn't the big titles on PS4 be... well... PS4 games? Not PS3 games that are being ported over within a year of release?

I came into this new generation to get new experiences, not PS4 versions of experiences I already had last year. I am fine with HD remasters when they come in like a decade or so later, but porting up within a year feels a little disappointing and forced to me. Sorry to say, I will NOT be buying The Last of US: Definitive Edition.

It might be interesting if, since they ARE Naughty Dog, they had early access to the PS4 and created them in parallel, and it was decided a long time ago that it would be a staggered release to A) keep it being a system seller for the PS3 for launch, and B) fill the gap between major releases on the PS4 (and be a system seller).

If they announced from the offset that it would be available for the PS4 too, I don't think it would have sold as well, and that year of sales and hype (and awards) would have been lost.

I have mixed feelings about it, but it might be one of the few titles I buy twice (Killzone 1/2 being the others, though I also have the GoW HD collection, but never owned the PS2 originals).

I think it's a great idea for the people who didn't have the chance to play or finish the game. As for the people who did, I'm sure some people will by the game again because it's awesome and to support ND and some people will feel like Chandler which is fine and not get it. Point is when they do it they're still going to make bank

I think it's a great idea for the people who didn't have the chance to play or finish the game. As for the people who did, I'm sure some people will by the game again because it's awesome and to support ND and some people will feel like Chandler which is fine and not get it. Point is when they do it they're still going to make bank
Definitely agree. The game will once again be successful.

Does anyone know how much it sold originally on the PS3?

They said it was the 2nd largest launch in 2013 (after GTAV), and definitely in the top 10 overall. At least it feels like it should be. As of this month I think it's at 6 million units sold.

I'm not going to buy it if it does come out on PS4, but I already own it on PS3. For those who are coming to the PlayStation ecosystem from Xbox 360, however, I think this is great! I just hope that Naughty Dog doesn't put too much money into this. I don't think that it would be very safe to put much capital into this project since the install base is small on PS4 compared to PS3, but a quick port with a few touch-ups for $40 (or $60 if you include the equivalent of a Season Pass like was done with Tomb Raider) would probably make sense.

I don't mind this. I haven't picked up The Last of Us yet, so now I'll probably just wait until it comes out to the PS4 to do it, as long as it is viewed as highly over the PS3 version as the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition was. If it isn't well, I"ll probably just get it for the PS3 as long as it is cheaper.

I do hope though that with TLOU and Tomb Raider it doesn't start a trend of PS3 full priced games getting a re-release for the PS4. Let's roll out some new games.

@Untraditional - Nice!

@Dullshimmer - I like what they did with PS2 HD Remakes (a lot, actually). I hope they have similar treatment with PS3 games, especially early ones. The differences between the Tomb Raiders was pretty significant, considering the last-gen released not too long ago.

I plat the ps3 version and im waiting for the latest dlc and the new difficulty mode

I plat the ps3 version and im waiting for the latest dlc and the new difficulty mode

Zeke please refrain from multi-posting, as it can be seen as spam which is against the rules and is typical forum etiquette. I don't mean to sound like i'm attacking you or anything, but the edit button is there for a reason :)

Edit: Previous posts are gone, if anyone is confused, and thanks Zeke :)

Last edited:
For the people who never got to experience this excellent game on the PS3, I see this as being a good thing. Personally, though, I will not be double-dipping.

@Dullshimmer - I like what they did with PS2 HD Remakes (a lot, actually). I hope they have similar treatment with PS3 games, especially early ones. The differences between the Tomb Raiders was pretty significant, considering the last-gen released not too long ago.[/quote]

Well to be honest I did like what they did with the PS2 HD Remakes on the PS3. I'd also say that the two not completely equivalent. The PS2 HD versions tended towards collections of games and not just one game remade. They were typically priced lower than a new game release at like $30-$40. They also added trophies which may not be big for some, but were a nice extra for me.

I did hear that the PS4 version of Tomb Raider is much better than the PS3. I'm not anti-remakes really, I mean I have most of the HD collections for the PS3, but I guess I don't want to see too much all at once.

@Dullshimmer - I like what they did with PS2 HD Remakes (a lot, actually). I hope they have similar treatment with PS3 games, especially early ones. The differences between the Tomb Raiders was pretty significant, considering the last-gen released not too long ago.

Well to be honest I did like what they did with the PS2 HD Remakes on the PS3. I'd also say that the two not completely equivalent. The PS2 HD versions tended towards collections of games and not just one game remade. They were typically priced lower than a new game release at like $30-$40. They also added trophies which may not be big for some, but were a nice extra for me.

I did hear that the PS4 version of Tomb Raider is much better than the PS3. I'm not anti-remakes really, I mean I have most of the HD collections for the PS3, but I guess I don't want to see too much all at once.

I would just rather them put their efforts towards something new. Like Chandler stated, a year later is just far too soon. Five years? Go for it.

I never played it...*ducks* "don't hurt me guys!"...so I would for sure pick this up on PS4. Since this news came out I have been holding out on the $30-$40 sales on the original. Can't wait to play this game!!! Just now started Uncharted 3 too :/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"