HD Remakes on PS4 - Good or Bad?

Chandler Wood

Get Off My Wood
Staff member
What are your thoughts on HD ports of games coming to PS4? Already, more than 20% of the existing games on PS4 are ports of recently released PS3 and/or Vita titles, with many others being cross generation titles that exist on both platforms. There are very few games developed exclusively for the new-gen. With Tomb Raider already re-released on PS4, The Last of Us incoming to PS4, and the Mass Effect Trilogy rumored for a PS4 release, what is your take on the massive influx of last generation titles making their way to what is supposed to be our new and powerful console?

I am OK with older titles being ported over like Mass Effect, but I think anything that was released in the last year is a bit much. To me, older games getting an HD remake feels like a homage to those series, much like Kingdom Hearts HD ReMix on the PS3 was, but there was an existing catalog to buff out the library. Sadly, as this generation doesn't have backwards compatibility, we are seeing publishers ride existing IPs to the bank without putting much else in. So, yes I am ok with some Super HD ports, but it needs to be done in moderation and only as long as it would be something that would benefit from it....like Mirror's Edge, just give me more of that. Now.

I'm afraid that developers are going to kill the appeal of PS Now with these PS4 ports. Are they doing it on purpose? I don't know. I know that I haven't played a single entry in the Mass Effect series, despite being told that it's AMAZEBALLS, and I've even considered purchasing the collection on PS3. Now that it's maybe being ported to PS4, I could potentially have the options of either streaming a PS3 version or buying a PS4 version that looks better and can be played if my Internet is down. Obviously, the ownership scenario seems more appealing, and I think that Sony is going to lose out on future sales if this trend continues.

Edit: There's my Michael Pachter forecast of the day.

Speaking strictly personally: it's A-OK by me. I've yet to buy Tomb Raider or The Last of Us, so enhanced versions for the PS4 give me reason to hold off on getting them just yet, and more titles for my PS4 library whenever I get one. xD

But generally speaking, ehh... Kinda mixed feelings. I think I pretty much agree with most/all of what Dan said.

Personally i think it would've been best if they had just thrown in backwards compatibility. It would save developers some money and consumers from having to buy doubles of a game they may already have.
Otherwise i'm kinda mixed on hd collections. For those who got rid of their ps3's i guess it would work out , for those who didn't it would be a rather pointless buy if you already own the game.

Not sure how easy it is to emulate the cell processor.

Otherwise, I'll buy a remake if that means that they will be making something new.

My biggest issue with it is the lack of anything to identify the PS4 by. With over half of the titles not being unique to this new generation, what's the point of upgrading to the new generation of consoles?

For existing PS3 owners, they have very little reason to actually fork over the money to upgrade yet.

It's fine by me, just because they put the game out doesn't mean you have to buy it. Its there for those that have never played them c or wish to play them again.

As far as people complaining they want something newfor there system, sure we all do, but not having these remakes won't make that happen. Ig anything its giving and of us more to do. It's like the Indie argument all over, if they stop the indies we're not going to suddenly get big titles instead, that just means less for us. If what am example look at the Xbone, less indiesc and no remakeof arcade games or last of us, and what did that man, there's not a ton to play. Be patient, there are 4+ games released each month, enjoy them, we are early adopters, that's how this shit works.

It's fine by me, just because they put the game out doesn't mean you have to buy it. Its there for those that have never played them c or wish to play them again.

As far as people complaining they want something newfor there system, sure we all do, but not having these remakes won't make that happen. Ig anything its giving and of us more to do. It's like the Indie argument all over, if they stop the indies we're not going to suddenly get big titles instead, that just means less for us. If what am example look at the Xbone, less indiesc and no remakeof arcade games or last of us, and what did that man, there's not a ton to play. Be patient, there are 4+ games released each month, enjoy them, we are early adopters, that's how this shit works.
While I see where you are coming from, there is also a mentality behind HD re-releases, and their success. Again, people are avoiding upgrading because it's just HD ports, studios aren't even developing for PS4 because the guaranteed money is on PS3, studios are learning they can make money off of cheap and quick HD ports, and we're stuck in a cycle of getting tons of them.

Sure, not getting HD ports wouldn't change what we ARE getting, but it would change the mentality of developers and gamers to perhaps offer a bit of a brighter future as opposed to just rehashing what we've already done, and proving that it's a good cheap way for devs to make more money.

I would rather them give us new experiences on the PS4 but I am not upset with all the HD remakes because I will never buy them anyway. I would say it is mostly a good thing because it expands the PS4 library.

I think we've both discussed this a few times. But I don't like it. At all. I get that some people didn't get to play or chose not to purchase the last gen consoles and missed out. But developers shouldn't be responsible for remedying the poor insight and bad choices consumers make. I feel that if they truly want to play the games then they can go back and buy the last gen consoles. We need some new blood. And if we want a series featured on the current gen, then we need to do so in sequels. Not remakes, rehashes, definitive editions, HD trilogies, or anything else of the like.

I want new games for the new generation. Not new polish on yesteryear's games.

Like I said, if Last if Us wasn't releasing, we wouldn't magically have something new on that day instead. If Tomb Raider wasnt released we wouldn't have had a new game on that day. All this is doing is giving us more options, and if they get extra money to help fund new projects, than I'mfine with it.

There are plenty of next gen games being developed that we don't know about, so I still didn't understand the moaninh and groaning over and hd remake. If you look at the first year of the 360 and PS3, there wasn't shit. No hd remakes, no indies. So ee had nothing . So be glad there are at least those you could play.

The choices Are we get hd remakes and indies while we wait for bigger newer games. Or we simply waitfor them with nothing to play. I know which I'd rather have.

Like I said, if Last if Us wasn't releasing, we wouldn't magically have something new on that day instead. If Tomb Raider wasnt released we wouldn't have had a new game on that day. All this is doing is giving us more options, and if they get extra money to help fund new projects, than I'mfine with it.

There are plenty of next gen games being developed that we don't know about, so I still didn't understand the moaninh and groaning over and hd remake. If you look at the first year of the 360 and PS3, there wasn't shit. No hd remakes, no indies. So ee had nothing . So be glad there are at least those you could play.

The choices Are we get hd remakes and indies while we wait for bigger newer games. Or we simply waitfor them with nothing to play. I know which I'd rather have.

The only problems I have with this post are the mentions of "new" in regards to both of those games.

The only problems I have with this post are the mentions of "new" in regards to both of those games.
The new was inregards to a different game, meanin g, if we didn't have TLOU or Tomb Raider releasing, some brand new game wouldn't have taken it's spot, instead all we would have is two less games on the system.

I will admit that I hate that they release these games at full price, and that they don't offer any sort of upgrade programs like they did with a bunch of the launch games. That's about the only thing that really bothers me.

They are new for anyone with a PS4 who never played them on PS3.

Yet the games themselves aren't new at all. Whether someone has played them or not is irrelevant in this case.

The new was inregards to a different game, meanin g, if we didn't have TLOU or Tomb Raider releasing, some brand new game wouldn't have taken it's spot, instead all we would have is two less games on the system.

I'd prefer two less games to two older games rereleased.

Yet the games themselves aren't new at all. Whether someone has played them or not is irrelevant in this case.

I'd prefer two less games to two older games rereleased.
But why, why not have them on the machine. It's there for those that missed them, or for those that sold off their PS3, or simply wish to play it again. what's the harm in having the option, for those that want it. mre games are good thing, whether remakes, or upgrades, alliw the option for those that want it.

But why, why not have them on the machine. It's there for those that missed them, or for those that sold off their PS3, or simply wish to play it again. what's the harm in having the option, for those that want it. mre games are good thing, whether remakes, or upgrades, alliw the option for those that want it.

I've stated why in my post above. I'm all about more games. Just not repeating the exact, to the T, same games.

I think part of the issue isn't just that people think new games would magically pop up, if there weren't an HD remake. But, that resources are being spent to reproduce games instead of going into new product, which in turn will only delay the time until we see anything new from that developer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"