Backwards Compatibility in Video Game Systems

ahchurro11

PSLS Level: Bronze
Everyone knows what video game systems do: they play games designed for said systems. Some however have backwards compatibility: the ability to play games from the last system generation. Not all systems have this feature though, such as this generation's PS4 & Xbox One. My question: Would you pay extra for that backwards compatibility feature for systems that don't support it? Also, what is your opinion on backwards compatibility as a whole?

I would definitely pay extra for a backwards compatibility feature in systems if I had to. In fact, that is the only major thing holding me back from systems like the PS4 & Xbox One at this point. The reason being is because of the massive backlog that I have happens to mostly involve games from the last generation as a whole. Since the current gen doesn't have backwards compatibility (except the Wii U), I'm forced to stay with my old consoles to play said backlog.

As for my opinions on backwards compatibility as a whole, I personally love it. Having the ability to enjoy games not only from the current system, but also the last system is awesome. It also makes things more convenient or me pecs use I can just have one system out for what is technically two instead of having two systems take up space. Lastly, it allows me to see what the last generation of games have to offer while waiting for releases in the current generation, allowing for a greater variety of games instead of waiting for something to be released.

I do like backwards compatibility, but I'm not sure I would spend more for it to be implemented. I did last generation and made sure to buy a backwards compatible PS3 when I heard they were going to release versions that did not have it. To be honest I'm not sure I'd do it again. I think that if the PS4 would have PS3 compatibility it would be very expensive and I'm not sure I would pay extra for it. That's not to say I wouldn't extremely enjoy having it if they found an easier less expensive way of doing it (like making game design very similar between consoles so that games could cross over easier), but I'm not sure if that's a feasible thing or not.

I do like backwards compatibility, but I'm not sure I would spend more for it to be implemented. I did last generation and made sure to buy a backwards compatible PS3 when I heard they were going to release versions that did not have it. To be honest I'm not sure I'd do it again. I think that if the PS4 would have PS3 compatibility it would be very expensive and I'm not sure I would pay extra for it. That's not to say I wouldn't extremely enjoy having it if they found an easier less expensive way of doing it (like making game design very similar between consoles so that games could cross over easier), but I'm not sure if that's a feasible thing or not.

I can understand that. It's just that I like convenience, so I'd rather have one system be two then have two separate systems. As for it being so expensive, I don't think it would. The jump from ps3 to ps4 isn't as big as the jump from ps2 to ps3. Plus the Wii u is backwards compatable and is still affordable (I believe that that disc format is also different). Lastly, the whole"making games easier to port to the other" might be happening as we are seeing a lot of games that are on ps3, ps4, and ps vita at the same time. Do not quote me on that though as I am no developer.

I can understand that. It's just that I like convenience, so I'd rather have one system be two then have two separate systems. As for it being so expensive, I don't think it would. The jump from ps3 to ps4 isn't as big as the jump from ps2 to ps3. Plus the Wii u is backwards compatable and is still affordable (I believe that that disc format is also different). Lastly, the whole"making games easier to port to the other" might be happening as we are seeing a lot of games that are on ps3, ps4, and ps vita at the same time. Do not quote me on that though as I am no developer.

From what I've read, which may just be hearsay, the reason the PS3 would be so hard to make backwards compatible is the cell that they pushed so hard with the PS3 that made games harder to develop for at least out of the gate, hence all the early games that were better significantly on the 360. It's not so much the power of the games, but the architecture that was in the PS3 that would make it so hard and expensive to have backwards compatibility in the PS4 which took a different, and from what I understand, more developer friendly architecture. This could be incorrect, but it is something I've read a number of places.

If they could do it with little extra cost I'd probably be willing, but if it was a significant increase I'd probably pass and simply keep using the two consoles.

The problem that we have now is online infrastructure too. With backwards compatibility, could you play PS3 games online? Would it access that particular side of the network? Would Plus be required? Games are extremely complicated machines, and every little component would need to work with the PS4, which would drastically drive up costs as well as chance of error rate and failure. I think Sony was very smart to avoid that shitstorm. I personally keep my PS3 around. It's no big deal to swap back and forth, it's a quick button press on my remote.

Backward compatibility was never a big issue until the PS2 rolled around. And it was never something to be worried about until the PS3 released. More often than not, the history of the industry shows us that backward compatibility is rare. Something that is not the status quo. So, while I enjoyed it, I will not deem it as a necessary aspect for a console or handheld.

Conversely, the reason I traded my PS3 towards the PS4 is because I had mistakenly assumed PS Now (then Gaikai) would have the entire PSN store available for play on the PS4. Thus, allowing me to go back and stream all the Classics and games I had already purchased. Sadly that was not the case, as we all now very well know.

Conversely, the reason I traded my PS3 towards the PS4 is because I had mistakenly assumed PS Now (then Gaikai) would have the entire PSN store available for play on the PS4. Thus, allowing me to go back and stream all the Classics and games I had already purchased. Sadly that was not the case, as we all now very well know.
This needs to happen. Remotely-emulated titles via cloud services should be totally synced through all platforms. I have noticed that the PS3 version of PS Now already does this. When I see Mega Man 9, for instance, I can stream it on my PS3 because I have already paid for it. Why shouldn't the PS4 version do the same thing? PS Now eliminates the hardware fragmentation problem that @Chandler Wood mentioned above, so this should not be a big deal anymore. I'll cross my fingers and continue to hope.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"