does the trophy list affect your purchase?

yowzagabowza

PSLS Level: Bronze
It only matters to me if its a game i wasnt sure about getting. I got MK9 knowing full well id never plat it because i love those games. But ive skipped a lot that i wasnt into because of online trophies or super grindy ones.

As a Trophy whore I wholeheartedly say, 'NO!' If it was a game I had enough interest in and was planning to buy, I had already made my choice. Trophies aren't going to dissuade that choice.

Does it change my Gamefly queue? Absolutely! And almost daily at that! The difficulty rating and time to Plat on PST factor heavily into my queue and occasionally if I'll even rent it. At the same time, having a ridiculously simple trophy list isn't going to get it added either if I have no interest in it.

No. I typically only buy games that I really like or will like. I do rent from Gamefly based on trophies though.LOL

Yes absolutely. If a game is $10 and has a platinum and a game is $15 or $20 dollars and doesn't have a platinum which one do you think I'm going to buy?

If it's 3 games for $40 or it's 1 game with extremely hard trophies for $40 which one am I most likely to buy?

I'd be lying if I didn't say that the free trophies on Aabs Animals on PS3 and Vita were as big a reasons as the fact that the proceeds go to charity.

My reasons for buying a game... they are a random algorithm. There's no real way to gauge what games I buy.

Generally now a day's it's what ever is cheap or on sale, or OMG MUST HAVE IT!

I think trophies to a certain degree have an effect on my purchases. Would I have said that before PlayStation got trophies? Nope. Honestly didn't think they were that big of a deal when they first came out, or when they were first announced. But now if a game doesn't have them it really actually bothers me. I truly wish there was the full PS Home integration with the trophies as previously promised, it looked awesome.

I have never looked at trophies before I bought a game. I play games I like and the trophies just ding!

I have never looked at trophies before I bought a game. I play games I like and the trophies just ding!
You've never once went to like a $20 dollar brand new digital title and were like "Well maybe..." and then looked at the trophy list with like 13 bronze trophies and 1 silver and then changed your mind?

I will add this to my point though. I don't believe a lack of trophies hurts a game from a gameplay perspective, but with the addition of them it adds so much to the title. A recent example of this would be the recent update to Steam to get achievements. Games like Final Fantasy VII and VII now are on Steam and have achievements. Do they hurt the game? No. I actually have enjoyed playing through the games again and enjoying achievements for the titles.

Not at all. Trophies are completely arbitrary to me. I don't hunt them down. If they ding, I'll go see what I did. But in no way do the affect my game playing or purchasing decisions. They mean absolutely nothing. Before the advent of trophies or gamerscore I completed and accomplished quite a lot of "achievements" in past games. I don't need some number that means absolutely nothing to "prove" myself to anyone. I play games because they are fun. I do NOT play them because I want to increase a number that, again, means absolutely nothing. All trophies tell me are how many games you have played and that you have more time than I do to play them.

I don't get the fascination about them. I certainly do not understand why people tie skill and trophies together. That is completely ridiculous. There are quite a few awesome gamers that don't play as often, yet are better players. And they don't have trophies. They don't hunt them down.

And I don't care how many times you (you in a general manner) try and tell me otherwise, trophies do NOT make games better. All the content the game has to offer exists whether the trophies do or not. It is up to you as a gamer to go out there and experience it all. Needing an arbitrary number as an excuse to play a game is deplorable to me.

EDIT: I don't mean to attack or offend those that hunt them. I just don't view them as integral to a game in any fashion.

Last edited:
I tend to go after trophies, but never really look at a trophy list before I purchase a game. If I'm interested in a game trophies don't really change my mind. I don't purchase or rent games with easy trophies, just for easy trophies, I simply try to complete as much of each game I play as I can.

Heh, Arthur tell us how you really feel eh? I've found that trophies make me more willing to explore the nooks and crannies of games that otherwise I would be interested in doing, but lacked motivation to do so. Trophies even though they don't really mean much gave me that motivation. I don't care that much about the number, but I do like the challenge (for some games) and the little extra motivation to complete aspects of the game that I might have just skipped over and moved on to the next game.

You've never once went to like a $20 dollar brand new digital title and were like "Well maybe..." and then looked at the trophy list with like 13 bronze trophies and 1 silver and then changed your mind?

Not once. The closest I have come is renting a game strictly for easy trophies. However if I am buying a game, I am buying it because I want to play it, not because of trophies.

I tend to go after trophies, but never really look at a trophy list before I purchase a game. If I'm interested in a game trophies don't really change my mind. I don't purchase or rent games with easy trophies, just for easy trophies, I simply try to complete as much of each game I play as I can.

Heh, Arthur tell us how you really feel eh? I've found that trophies make me more willing to explore the nooks and crannies of games that otherwise I would be interested in doing, but lacked motivation to do so. Trophies even though they don't really mean much gave me that motivation. I don't care that much about the number, but I do like the challenge (for some games) and the little extra motivation to complete aspects of the game that I might have just skipped over and moved on to the next game.

Well, I won't keep it to myself. ;) I just don't like the newer and newest generation of gamers putting such a heavy emphasis on trophies. I mean they don't tell me how good of a gamer you are. They almost always associate a high trophy or platinum count with being a damn good gamer. Just isn't true. Trophies have nothing to do with skill or how well you play.

Well, I won't keep it to myself. ;) I just don't like the newer and newest generation of gamers putting such a heavy emphasis on trophies. I mean they don't tell me how good of a gamer you are. They almost always associate a high trophy or platinum count with being a damn good gamer. Just isn't true. Trophies have nothing to do with skill or how well you play.

With that I largely agree. The pure number of trophies or platinums really means nothing at all, except how many games you play. You can get a lot of trophies and platinums fairly easily if you know the right games and everything to play.

I will say though that earning all trophies in certain games may mean more than number of trophies total. A game that is difficult to earn all the trophies in could mean a bit more on your skill as a gamer than earning all the trophies on a game that pretty much anyone could.

With that I largely agree. The pure number of trophies or platinums really means nothing at all, except how many games you play. You can get a lot of trophies and platinums fairly easily if you know the right games and everything to play.

I will say though that earning all trophies in certain games may mean more than number of trophies total. A game that is difficult to earn all the trophies in could mean a bit more on your skill as a gamer than earning all the trophies on a game that pretty much anyone could.

That just shows time and dedication to me. Just because you got the trophy, doesn't mean you did it on your first try with no problems. They are just way too subjective and peripheral to be taken as seriously as they are.

Not once. The closest I have come is renting a game strictly for easy trophies. However if I am buying a game, I am buying it because I want to play it, not because of trophies.
Well fact of the matter is I have one of the biggest backlogs on the site.

If I bought everything that I wanted to buy (way too many great games this generation) I would have an extra 100 or 200 games on my list. I've got 3 copies of Pixel Junk Monsters. Always meant to get around to playing it, but a friend said it wasn't that good, and then he ended up loving the hell out of it months later. Just got around to playing it about 2 weeks ago on Vita.

So unless it's a game I really want, if it's $15 dollars and 12 really hard to get trophies, versus $10 and a platinum going with the Platinum trophy one, otherwise I'd spend $25 on both.

It's a way to cut down my game purchases with arbitrary limitations.

Never. I buy and play what I am interested in and want to play. Once I have it, I'll take a look at trophies and see if I want to put the time into going for the platinum. I won't specifically buy a game just for easy trophies, and likewise, I won't avoid a game because trophies are difficult or may keep me from platinum.

I play games for fun and enjoyment, and I earn trophies for the same reason.

Never. I buy and play what I am interested in and want to play. Once I have it, I'll take a look at trophies and see if I want to put the time into going for the platinum. I won't specifically buy a game just for easy trophies, and likewise, I won't avoid a game because trophies are difficult or may keep me from platinum.

I play games for fun and enjoyment, and I earn trophies for the same reason.
This^^^

considering that a lot of my games don't have trophy support while the other half does, I'm gonna say 'no'. I play games for fun, not trophies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"