Microsoft Removing Paywall

BigPete7978

PSLS Level: Silver
Looks as if Microsoft is removing the paywall for services on the Xbox One and 360. So Netflix, Internet Explorer, and many other features will be accessible to everyone, Xbox Live Gold membership or not.

A4D9DD7A-E206-497E-AF6C-0E6BA056C411_zpsdhbzlwav.jpg

I for one think this is a great move on their part. Granted it should have been this way from the beginning, but better late than never.

This should have been the way it was from the beginning, but then Microsoft couldn't charge people money to use things like Netflix, which they also have to pay for!

best_animated_gif_of_all_time.gif

I just think people like to complain. Microsoft fixes some of the stuff you have been complaining about forever, and still there is no acknowledgement of things becoming better. I just don't get it.

I just think people like to complain. Microsoft fixes some of the stuff you have been complaining about forever, and still there is no acknowledgement of things becoming better. I just don't get it.
Why should we congratulate them for fixing their own fuck ups?? It only took them eight years to fix it.

Why should we congratulate them for fixing their own fuck ups?? It only took them eight years to fix it.
You owned a 360, seemingly enjoyed it, yet now you have began to hate Microsoft because of their practices in the gaming business, because Sony and Nintendo are great in every way. I'm not saying that the company is perfect, but no company is.

So here are some lists of shit people complain about
  1. Charging for a wifi adapter. Xbox's since 2010 have had wifi included
  2. HD DVD addition released for Xbox 360 - not sure how accurate this is, but it was my assumption that the technology was not originally even around or ready when the Xbox 360 originally released. If I am wrong, please correct me, because I never heard of HD DVD or Blu-Ray until they began to discuss the PlayStation 3.
  3. Paywall for apps - the apps were originally behind the paywall, and no I didn't agree with it. Very happy that they have removed this, but I would never own a Xbox product without being a member of Xbox LIVE. The same could be said about the PlayStation and PS Plus. Owning either console without the memberships seems almost pointless to me. Though I know people who do, and this is my opinion.
  4. The Kinect being included with the Xbox One - they are now offering it for $100 less without the Kinect, and although I don't agree with it (opinion), people are still complaining. My opinion personally is that the Kinect adds a lot to the system and differentiates it from the other consoles.
  5. The Xbox One not originally allowing used games - this was probably the most controversial of the "features" of the new Xbox One. Gamers flipped out, and in some ways it was definitely warranted. But some of the features that came along with it seemed amazing. I liked the idea of having an inner circle of friends that could play the games of their friends.
  6. Lack of first party games - this is one that I can agree with. Don't get me wrong, I like Halo and Gears, but overall the titles that I loved the most on the Xbox 360 were games like Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Crackdown 2, etc. I don't always want to play a shooting game. So hopefully as time goes on (and some announcements at E3) we will see some awesome exclusives. Though I am REALLY excited for Sunset Overdrive.
Granted I know I am pretty much talking to a wall here, and probably won't get many agreements, this is a PlayStation centered site and community. I just want to play games, regardless of console. Each company does things that bother people. Plus without the complaining, there would be no progress made. People complained to Nintendo, and they sort of got rid of Friend Codes. Hopefully next they will add in that if your purchase a game on 3DS and it's available on the Wii U (Virtual Console games specifically) you already own it. A lot of people are also asking for trophies/achievements as well, because it is becoming the norm with systems (PlayStation, Xbox, Steam, etc.) Sony IMO charges way too much money for the damn Vita memory cards. That is truly one of the only complaints that I personally have for the company. Microsoft needs more first party support IMO. But overall those are really my only complaints.

I think as a whole people like to bitch more and more nowadays. Yes it's great to have your voice heard through social media, petitions, etc. but damn. When things are fixed we get to hear things like: "Well it took too long" "They need to fix this now" "I hate them because it wasn't originally implemented that way". Just enjoy the damn games you have. Be grateful that in this day and age your voice is heard by these gaming giants. And more importantly, the whole reason we started this HOBBY (yes, it's a damn hobby), have fun.

You owned a 360, seemingly enjoyed it, yet now you have began to hate Microsoft because of their practices in the gaming business, because Sony and Nintendo are great in every way. I'm not saying that the company is perfect, but no company is.

So here are some lists of shit people complain about
  1. Charging for a wifi adapter. Xbox's since 2010 have had wifi included
  2. HD DVD addition released for Xbox 360 - not sure how accurate this is, but it was my assumption that the technology was not originally even around or ready when the Xbox 360 originally released. If I am wrong, please correct me, because I never heard of HD DVD or Blu-Ray until they began to discuss the PlayStation 3.
  3. Paywall for apps - the apps were originally behind the paywall, and no I didn't agree with it. Very happy that they have removed this, but I would never own a Xbox product without being a member of Xbox LIVE. The same could be said about the PlayStation and PS Plus. Owning either console without the memberships seems almost pointless to me. Though I know people who do, and this is my opinion.
  4. The Kinect being included with the Xbox One - they are now offering it for $100 less without the Kinect, and although I don't agree with it (opinion), people are still complaining. My opinion personally is that the Kinect adds a lot to the system and differentiates it from the other consoles.
  5. The Xbox One not originally allowing used games - this was probably the most controversial of the "features" of the new Xbox One. Gamers flipped out, and in some ways it was definitely warranted. But some of the features that came along with it seemed amazing. I liked the idea of having an inner circle of friends that could play the games of their friends.
  6. Lack of first party games - this is one that I can agree with. Don't get me wrong, I like Halo and Gears, but overall the titles that I loved the most on the Xbox 360 were games like Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Crackdown 2, etc. I don't always want to play a shooting game. So hopefully as time goes on (and some announcements at E3) we will see some awesome exclusives. Though I am REALLY excited for Sunset Overdrive.
Granted I know I am pretty much talking to a wall here, and probably won't get many agreements, this is a PlayStation centered site and community. I just want to play games, regardless of console. Each company does things that bother people. Plus without the complaining, there would be no progress made. People complained to Nintendo, and they sort of got rid of Friend Codes. Hopefully next they will add in that if your purchase a game on 3DS and it's available on the Wii U (Virtual Console games specifically) you already own it. A lot of people are also asking for trophies/achievements as well, because it is becoming the norm with systems (PlayStation, Xbox, Steam, etc.) Sony IMO charges way too much money for the damn Vita memory cards. That is truly one of the only complaints that I personally have for the company. Microsoft needs more first party support IMO. But overall those are really my only complaints.

I think as a whole people like to bitch more and more nowadays. Yes it's great to have your voice heard through social media, petitions, etc. but damn. When things are fixed we get to hear things like: "Well it took too long" "They need to fix this now" "I hate them because it wasn't originally implemented that way". Just enjoy the damn games you have. Be grateful that in this day and age your voice is heard by these gaming giants. And more importantly, the whole reason we started this HOBBY (yes, it's a damn hobby), have fun.

Nobody here hates Xbox. I VERY happily owned a 360 for years until they stopped making exclusives for it. I spent the last two years without LIVE because there was no point If I wasn't buying new games for it. I also owned an Xbox for it's entire life cycle. I don't care what company you are. I am not going to praise you for fixing your own fuck ups. I wouldn't get that praise at my job for doing it so neither will they. If you want to call that "bitching" or "hating" than that is your right I guess.

Nobody here hates Xbox. I VERY happily owned a 360 for years until they stopped making exclusives for it. I spent the last two years without LIVE because there was no point If I wasn't buying new games for it. I also owned an Xbox for it's entire life cycle. I don't care what company you are. I am not going to praise you for fixing your own fuck ups. I wouldn't get that praise at my job for doing it so neither will they. If you want to call that "bitching" or "hating" than that is your right I guess.
Where in my post do I say praise them? All I said was acknowledge that things are getting better. I never once said you should be congratulating Microsoft for this.

Personally I think that Microsoft is getting the same wake up call that Sony got when it released the PS3. The similarities are almost scary. Sony came out very cocky and arrogant because of the success of the PS2. Many stated that the PS3 was too expensive at $600 for the top end console (though considering what you were getting, I thought it was well worth it). Microsoft came out a bit arrogant with the Xbox One, and they are realizing that they need to listen to their consumers, and finally making some changes for the better. I'm looking forward to E3 for both Sony and Microsoft, should be a good one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"