Selling PS3 to get PS4: Good Decision or Huge Mistake?

Is trading PS3 to get a PS4 a bad decision?

• Yes, just be patient and wait til you can afford a PS4 outright

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Hugo Stiglitz

PSLS Level: Bronze
Personally, I think selling PS3 to get PS4 is a huge mistake. I typically don't believe in selling games, but especially not consoles. I know people have reasons to do so, but I still think it's a bad decision to make.

Everytime someone says "I miss playing ______ but I sold my PS3 when I got PS4", I literally could not have any less sympathy for them than I do.

It's my opinion that unless the new console is backwards compatible, trading it in is a mistake especially in the case of PS3 because there were so many amazing exclusives.

Also, let me be clear, it has nothing to do with the games on PS4. In my opinion there are more than enough great games on PS4 to keep any reasonable gamer busy. Unless your stubborn as hell about the games you'll play, PS4 has plenty.

That doesn't mean that you should sell your PS3 though

i would NOT sell my ps3 for a ps4, the ps4 is still kinda newish and so is limited on a lot of things, at least with a ps3, you'll have more games and more to do, to keep yourself entertained. I have both, and I still use my ps3 more then my ps4.

So you can't afford a PS4.

So you want to sell your PS3 that has tons of amazing games going on sale all the time for $5-20 dollars so you can buy a console that 2-4 games on sale a week (versus 100)

Why on earth would you sell your PS3 for a 4?

Just sub to PS Plus, grab the free games using the instructions in my signature, and you're good to go. There will be NOTHING but disappointment if you do that.

If you like Call of Duty, just buy it digitally for the Free PS4 copy for when you get your PS4. If you like JRPGs you won't find any that aren't on PS3 and tons that are on PS3 that aren't on PS4, and for good prices.

the new update is causing problems with standby on the PS4.

If you mostly just play FFXIV Spelunky, etc, I can recommend selling the PS3 for a PS4, but unless you are already playing heavily the games that are on the PS4 there's no point in getting it at the cost of all the PS3 library.

I mean if you can't afford a PS4... how can you afford the games? The HDD upgrade once you get 20 20GB games?

Wait till you can afford it.

My slimmed down version of my above argument has always been.

"Don't be retarded, do the math, if you can't afford a $400 dollar PS4 how are you going to afford the $60 dollar games plus the PS Plus to play online?"

Demon's Souls is reason enough for me to keep my PS3. At least until it gets a PS4 port. But there are so many other games I would miss.

If Sony could somehow get at least some of our PSN games (like PS1/PS2 classics) to carry over and work on PS4 then that might give some people a good enough reason.

Demon's Souls is reason enough for me to keep my PS3. At least until it gets a PS4 port. But there are so many other games I would miss.

If Sony could somehow get at least some of our PSN games (like PS1/PS2 classics) to carry over and work on PS4 then that might give some people a good enough reason.
Demon's Souls isn't a good enough reason for me. XD

I platinumed that game in the first month or so.

The backlog of great games I still have for PS3 will keep me from selling it for a long while. If I was interested in selling it. Which I'm not.

That game was magic. It actually reminded me of the first time I played Kings Field on PSX.

I traded mine in towards the PS4. Mostly due to the idea that Gaikai was going to allow us to stream our PSN library. That didn't happen.

I got all I wanted out of my PS3. I played the games I wanted to play. The current generation is the next step and the PS3 is only going to slowly decline. The only thing I miss from it is the ability to play the Classics I downloaded. Which aren't really PS3 titles to begin with. Just because games go on sale fails to mean I will want to play them. And as I stated before, I already played everything I wanted to play. The PlayStation 3 wasn't as memorable to me as the SNES, PS, or PS2. The magic just wasn't there during that generation. It was all nonsense, mostly. People drooled over shinier graphics while accepting lower quality experiences. There were some great titles, however, don't get me wrong.

Lastly, I game on more than just one brand. I don't limit myself like others, qualms about money aside. So losing a console I got a complete experience out of and felt satisfied with doesn't diminish my gaming experience. Of course, I'm an "old" gamer. I appreciate the core of what gaming is rather than the fluff that new gamers demand. No matter what platform, what era, or what type of game it is, as long as it is genuinely fun is all that ultimately matters to me.

I traded mine in towards the PS4. Mostly due to the idea that Gaikai was going to allow us to stream our PSN library. That didn't happen.

I got all I wanted out of my PS3. I played the games I wanted to play. The current generation is the next step and the PS3 is only going to slowly decline. The only thing I miss from it is the ability to play the Classics I downloaded. Which aren't really PS3 titles to begin with. Just because games go on sale fails to mean I will want to play them. And as I stated before, I already played everything I wanted to play. The PlayStation 3 wasn't as memorable to me as the SNES, PS, or PS2. The magic just wasn't there during that generation. It was all nonsense, mostly. People drooled over shinier graphics while accepting lower quality experiences. There were some great titles, however, don't get me wrong.

Lastly, I game on more than just one brand. I don't limit myself like others, qualms about money aside. So losing a console I got a complete experience out of and felt satisfied with doesn't diminish my gaming experience. Of course, I'm an "old" gamer. I appreciate the core of what gaming is rather than the fluff that new gamers demand. No matter what platform, what era, or what type of game it is, as long as it is genuinely fun is all that ultimately matters to me.
Nothing you said in there made any sense.

I have a huge backlog because there are more great games than I have time to play.

You can still play PS1 classics on a Vita T.V. I guess.

The Shiny Graphics argument really makes no sense considering the PS3 has a HUGE variety everything from Skyrim, Borderlands, down to One Piece, and Disgaea, Genesis classics, Dreamcast games, Fat Princess, Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars, Burn Zombie Burn... Great titles.

I doubt you have played as many as you would have liked.

Nothing you said in there made any sense.

I have a huge backlog because there are more great games than I have time to play.

You can still play PS1 classics on a Vita T.V. I guess.

The Shiny Graphics argument really makes no sense considering the PS3 has a HUGE variety everything from Skyrim, Borderlands, down to One Piece, and Disgaea, Genesis classics, Dreamcast games, Fat Princess, Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars, Burn Zombie Burn... Great titles.

I doubt you have played as many as you would have liked.

Because I have a different personal preference for game titles automatically means nothing I said makes sense? You're way off kilter on this one, friend. I played all I wanted to play. I never said I played all that you wanted to play. That is a wholly different beast. And I can still physically own the classics and play them on my PS2. Just a matter of finding them. Which isn't hard to do if you know where to look. Every city has their stores. I own a Genesis, why would I get their games for PS3? Same for Dreamcast. I don't usually toss out my consoles unless the media, or myself, led me into a false security net as is what happened with the PS3 and PS4.

And how does variety relate in any way to graphics? You really didn't make any kind of sense with that one.

Just remember, and this is for all that are reading, people have different tastes. What one person thinks is great, another will think is trash or not worth their time.

"Old gamer" ?

"Old gamer" ?

Seeing as gaming is roughly 35 years old, I can't be too old of a man. I was born in '85. And back then, and in the early '90s, gaming was all about just having a blast playing. Nobody really cared about how the visuals looked. The primary focus was gameplay, fun factor, and story (in RPGs). Nowadays, people take all the unimportant aspects far too seriously.

Seeing as gaming is roughly 35 years old, I can't be too old of a man. I was born in '85. And back then, and in the early '90s, gaming was all about just having a blast playing. Nobody really cared about how the visuals looked. The primary focus was gameplay, fun factor, and story (in RPGs). Nowadays, people take all the unimportant aspects far too seriously.

Being born in '83 i understand what ur describing. Gameplay and story have always been factors for me, graphics i see as more of a bonus. I can deal with low graphics and such but if the story sucks as well as the gameplay, then that just kills things for me.

Being born in 76, I still remember Pitfall on my Atari 2600. The alligators were made up of only 5 or 6 pixels, but for some reason, I still had a lot of fun trying to dodge them! Back then, it was the challenge and maybe the high score that was fun for me. I even remember a contest between my father and brother for the high score in Pac-Man. My father won...and took a photo (Polaroid of course) of the TV screen :) The social media of the day!

Being born in '83 i understand what ur describing. Gameplay and story have always been factors for me, graphics i see as more of a bonus. I can deal with low graphics and such but if the story sucks as well as the game play, then that just kills things for me.

I still play RAD on PS2 every now and then. The graphics and dialogue are absolutely awful. But man is it a fun game!

Because I have a different personal preference for game titles automatically means nothing I said makes sense? You're way off kilter on this one, friend. I played all I wanted to play. I never said I played all that you wanted to play. That is a wholly different beast. And I can still physically own the classics and play them on my PS2. Just a matter of finding them. Which isn't hard to do if you know where to look. Every city has their stores. I own a Genesis, why would I get their games for PS3? Same for Dreamcast. I don't usually toss out my consoles unless the media, or myself, led me into a false security net as is what happened with the PS3 and PS4.

And how does variety relate in any way to graphics? You really didn't make any kind of sense with that one.

Just remember, and this is for all that are reading, people have different tastes. What one person thinks is great, another will think is trash or not worth their time.

My comments were not off base in any way shape or form.

My comments were:

1. That the last generation wasn't all about graphics, and yes game variety does matter, because so much of that variety is not paying attention to having the desires for graphics in the way you complain about.

2. That there is a lot of stuff, you have no idea about, that I'm fairly certain you would have enjoyed, but you seem to only know of most of the high profile stuff, and missed dozens of gems that you probably would have loved. The games might have changed your entire opinion of the console generation.

My point is that I think you gave up on the generation too soon and for all the wrong reasons. That shouldn't offend you or upset you, it is just something to maybe think about, and maybe revisit the PS3 again sometime. I think you missed more diamonds, than you saw.

How do you explain the Sega Genesis, 32X, and CD attachments?

My comments were not off base in any way shape or form.

My comments were:

1. That the last generation wasn't all about graphics, and yes game variety does matter, because so much of that variety is not paying attention to having the desires for graphics in the way you complain about.

2. That there is a lot of stuff, you have no idea about, that I'm fairly certain you would have enjoyed, but you seem to only know of most of the high profile stuff, and missed dozens of gems that you probably would have loved. The games might have changed your entire opinion of the console generation.

My point is that I think you gave up on the generation too soon and for all the wrong reasons. That shouldn't offend you or upset you, it is just something to maybe think about, and maybe revisit the PS3 again sometime. I think you missed more diamonds, than you saw.

You're assuming you know me and my tastes, Makai. You are more or less telling me how I should have played as opposed to how I wanted to. Making your previous, and this, statements completely out of line. I didn't "give up" on anything. I was just done with it.

How do you explain the Sega Genesis, 32X, and CD attachments?

Storage, obviously. That has nothing to do with graphical aesthetics. The primary focus of them was providing something people would enjoy playing. To have fun playing. And back then a bigger game was the focus of expanding storage capabilities. A bigger game meant more time spent with it, more often than not. This is pretty basic knowledge for the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"