Selling PS3 to get PS4: Good Decision or Huge Mistake?

Is trading PS3 to get a PS4 a bad decision?

• Yes, just be patient and wait til you can afford a PS4 outright

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
You're assuming you know me and my tastes, Makai. You are more or less telling me how I should have played as opposed to how I wanted to. Making your previous, and this, statements completely out of line. I didn't "give up" on anything. I was just done with it.
Come on that's bullshit. My argument is that there are 1000 flavors of icecream, you had 50, and then you never look at icecream again.

I'm telling you that after looking at the flavors you had, I think there are some that you didn't know about, that you may have loved. I have tried 534 of the flavors. I'm not telling you "You should have ate them with waffle cones" and shit like that I'm just saying that of the 50 flavors you had there are some I would have recommended, that you might have loved.

I'm saying that you missed out on a lot. You say you had all the flavors you wanted. I'm saying there are a lot of flavors you didn't know about that you would have loved. Your view of this generation is painted by what you experienced, and your argument is flawed because you had such a limited experience.

Storage, obviously. That has nothing to do with graphical aesthetics. The primary focus of them was providing something people would enjoy playing. To have fun playing. And back then a bigger game was the focus of expanding storage capabilities. A bigger game meant more time spent with it, more often than not. This is pretty basic knowledge for the time.

You have some rosy nostalgia. You're just flat out wrong. To say that older games were about fun, and not about graphics.... you're just utterly unequivocably wrong. There were far more movie cash ins, the games were overall worse on average than the games we get now. You have such a rosy look on gaming. There are tons of games that were terrible gameplay because they tried to push the graphics, many add ons that didn't have to do with gameplay and longer games they had to do with graphics.

You're just so bitter about this generation and this has been a great generation. You'd know that if you had tried more of the flavors.

Because I have a different personal preference for game titles automatically means nothing I said makes sense? You're way off kilter on this one, friend. I played all I wanted to play. I never said I played all that you wanted to play. That is a wholly different beast. And I can still physically own the classics and play them on my PS2. Just a matter of finding them. Which isn't hard to do if you know where to look. Every city has their stores. I own a Genesis, why would I get their games for PS3? Same for Dreamcast. I don't usually toss out my consoles unless the media, or myself, led me into a false security net as is what happened with the PS3 and PS4.

And how does variety relate in any way to graphics? You really didn't make any kind of sense with that one.

Just remember, and this is for all that are reading, people have different tastes. What one person thinks is great, another will think is trash or not worth their time.
No, he's right. You claim to be an old gamer that doesn't care about fluff and graphics, and you talk about playing on Genesis, and PS2, so wouldn't it make more sense for you to keep the PS3? If you like playing old games, keeping the PS3 would've been a better choice, Gakai or not.

You may not see the need for PS3 now but I guarantee you will someday.

Seeing as gaming is roughly 35 years old, I can't be too old of a man. I was born in '85. And back then, and in the early '90s, gaming was all about just having a blast playing. Nobody really cared about how the visuals looked. The primary focus was gameplay, fun factor, and story (in RPGs). Nowadays, people take all the unimportant aspects far too seriously.

That's an absolute lie. I started playing video games when I was 6 ('94), one of the first things people talked about with games was the graphics. People absolutely cared about graphics back then.

Not to mention, I don't understand this assumption that you and other people have that because games nowadays have better graphics, that their gameplay sucks. That's absolutely not true.

Not only do games look better, but they play significantly better as well. Compare Killzone Shadow Fall to any PS3, PS2, PS1, N64, etc. shooter. There's no way you can say it doesn't play and feel like it's generations better than the rest.

Same goes for just about everyother genre besides platformers. But wait, even platformers are better now. Guacamelee, Rayman, etc. they play much better than old games and are more intuitive while also being challenging.

In old games, half the challenge was the clunkiness of the controls. You say they were all about fun, I say that's all they could be about because that's all they were capable of doing.

That's an absolute lie. I started playing video games when I was 6 ('94), one of the first things people talked about with games was the graphics. People absolutely cared about graphics back then.

Not to mention, I don't understand this assumption that you and other people have that because games nowadays have better graphics, that their gameplay sucks. That's absolutely not true.

Not only do games look better, but they play significantly better as well. Compare Killzone Shadow Fall to any PS3, PS2, PS1, N64, etc. shooter. There's no way you can say it doesn't play and feel like it's generations better than the rest.

Same goes for just about everyother genre besides platformers. But wait, even platformers are better now. Guacamelee, Rayman, etc. they play much better than old games and are more intuitive while also being challenging.

In old games, half the challenge was the clunkiness of the controls. You say they were all about fun, I say that's all they could be about because that's all they were capable of doing.
You forgot to mention Rogue Legacy in terms of awesome platforming, and challenge. :p Maybe not graphics, but it has it's own charm.

You also forgot to mention that many of those old games were challenging because they wanted you to put in a quarter every 2 minutes, so they only needed 20 minutes of game to get 2-4 dollars from you until you got good enough that you can do it on one quarter, but by then how much did the arcades get off of you?

Look at the design on Pinball tables. Why are there those little side parts where sometimes it goes down the side, and there's nothing you can do to save it, and so now that run is probably pretty much destroyed, and you're already getting your next quarter out. The gap between the flippers was JUST enough that it can be impossible to save it if it goes straight down the middle but you feel like you could have gotten it if your timing was better.

I use pinball because they epitomize that kind of gameplay. Games that are easy in arcades, don't make as much money. Fewer people can play them, and they get less quarters per hour, and when a machine costs $300-1300 dollars before maintenance and electricity, you want that thing to make a return on investment.

It's a lot easier to get people to buy your game if they can't beat it in 20 minutes or sooner, and difficulty is like the prime reason a Mega Man game took a while to beat, and people felt satisfied buying those. If you weren't good you could use powers that are strong against someone, but if you were an expert you can just do anything in any order you want, so it strove to make you play it over and over and over again and they didn't have to have 20 levels and bosses.

Ahh yes. The Bit Wars. I think those lasted until the PS1/N64/Saturn came out.

Ahh yes. The Bit Wars. I think those lasted until the PS1/N64/Saturn came out.
Yeah but even when I had the Dreamcast people were saying "The PS2 looks so good that when you see a fence on the screen you might thing it's a window." as to the reason they weren't buying a Dreamcast.

No, he's right. You claim to be an old gamer that doesn't care about fluff and graphics, and you talk about playing on Genesis, and PS2, so wouldn't it make more sense for you to keep the PS3? If you like playing old games, keeping the PS3 would've been a better choice, Gakai or not.

You may not see the need for PS3 now but I guarantee you will someday.

And I guarantee you I won't. I love how you all are overreacting here. Quite telling, honestly.

I'm done with the PS3. If you're not, fine. That's great. There was nothing on it that makes me want to revisit it. Not a thing. Therefor, trading it in isn't a regret. Meaning I used it to move on for the newer experiences coming with this next generation. It has nothing to do with graphics. Whether or not you want to believe that is highly irrelevant to me.

No lie at all. Your "everyone" and my "everyone" were completely different people. The internet was in private infancy back then. Everyone playing couldn't be accounted for. So yes, "everyone" didn't care about graphics in my environment and circles. The "everyone" in yours did. Which I find really sad.

I'll note you don't like games that focus solely on fun. And I'll also take pity on your for it.

Come on that's bullshit. My argument is that there are 1000 flavors of icecream, you had 50, and then you never look at icecream again.

I'm telling you that after looking at the flavors you had, I think there are some that you didn't know about, that you may have loved. I have tried 534 of the flavors. I'm not telling you "You should have ate them with waffle cones" and shit like that I'm just saying that of the 50 flavors you had there are some I would have recommended, that you might have loved.

I'm saying that you missed out on a lot. You say you had all the flavors you wanted. I'm saying there are a lot of flavors you didn't know about that you would have loved. Your view of this generation is painted by what you experienced, and your argument is flawed because you had such a limited experience.

You have some rosy nostalgia. You're just flat out wrong. To say that older games were about fun, and not about graphics.... you're just utterly unequivocably wrong. There were far more movie cash ins, the games were overall worse on average than the games we get now. You have such a rosy look on gaming. There are tons of games that were terrible gameplay because they tried to push the graphics, many add ons that didn't have to do with gameplay and longer games they had to do with graphics.

You're just so bitter about this generation and this has been a great generation. You'd know that if you had tried more of the flavors.

I looked at and researched the 1000 flavors. I found the majority of them distasteful. I'm glad you are so well off that you can afford every flavor to have ever existed. I cannot. Therefor, I had to utilize research, word of mouth, and friends' consoles to make my decisions. Not every game out there is enjoyed by every person.

Again, you're forcing my opinion here. You can't tell me I would have loved something when there is no way you can know that. That is ignorant and asinine. You don't even have a hint of my tastes or who I am. Therefor, you can't tell me what I like or dislike.

I'm not wrong. I am merely wrong in your opinion. There are still tons of terrible games with gameplay because of graphics. So I fail to see the point in that there. I'm not bitter at all. And I'm certainly not rosy. Games today have a lot more to them but most of them are hollow additions. It isn't about gameplay and fun factor anymore. It has become all about presentation.

I find it immensely humorous that you all are taking my opinion so very personal and getting so very upset about it. Like it or not, you're wrong about me being "wrong." Our opinions differ. That is all. Now respond some more to me so I can tear up some more. It is extremely funny.

I looked at and researched the 1000 flavors. I found the majority of them distasteful. I'm glad you are so well off that you can afford every flavor to have ever existed. I cannot. Therefor, I had to utilize research, word of mouth, and friends' consoles to make my decisions. Not every game out there is enjoyed by every person.

Again, you're forcing my opinion here. You can't tell me I would have loved something when there is no way you can know that. That is ignorant and asinine. You don't even have a hint of my tastes or who I am. Therefor, you can't tell me what I like or dislike.

I'm not wrong. I am merely wrong in your opinion. There are still tons of terrible games with gameplay because of graphics. So I fail to see the point in that there. I'm not bitter at all. And I'm certainly not rosy. Games today have a lot more to them but most of them are hollow additions. It isn't about gameplay and fun factor anymore. It has become all about presentation.

I find it immensely humorous that you all are taking my opinion so very personal and getting so very upset about it. Like it or not, you're wrong about me being "wrong." Our opinions differ. That is all. Now respond some more to me so I can tear up some more. It is extremely funny.
I don't even have a hint of your tastes?

Really? I looked at your trophy list and I could probably recommend a ton of games you'd like, but you get so offended. I mean what do you have against 3D Dot Game Heroes for example? Did you like Borderlands 2? You played a good chunk. Lollipop Chainsaw? Escape from Dead Island? I mean you played a lot of Dead Island. You played a good chunk of Costume Quest. What about Costume Quest 2?

If you don't have a lot of money then it would make sense to keep the PS3 just for the free PS Plus games. I'm not trying to attack you or belittle you, I'm just saying that there's a lot of games that are fun, and worth playing, but may not be 8s and 9s. I'm just trying to say that the PS3 is still an amazingly strong platform with a lot of good games that aren't on the PS4.

There have always and will always be games that pushed graphics further than fun or gameplay. As soon as they started playing and experimenting with graphics there have always been games that looked better than they played. To the extent that last gen focused more on graphics than gameplay, you can blame all the loud punks on the Playstation Blog who whine and cry that there are too many indie games, and that there aren't enough $40-60 dollar retail games coming out on Plus for their $5 dollars or less a month they are being charged.

It was your comment that games never used to be about graphics, and you feel now a days they are, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that, because when someone makes a statement like that, I feel like they didn't even see half of last generation, because this has been one hell of a generation, with lots of great games, games that didn't look amazing but played great, games that looked great and played great, games that were retro HDs, Retro inspired, $5 games, $7 games, $10-15 dollar games...

I was never trying to attack you. I was merely trying to suggest that maybe you should give the PS3 another look, and maybe ask for recommendations on stuff you may not have seen.

In any regard if you have a Vita and I'm pretty sure you do, if you buy any Zen Pinball tables buy them on the Vita so you get your PS4 version for free, and not buy them twice.

I don't even have a hint of your tastes?

Really? I looked at your trophy list and I could probably recommend a ton of games you'd like, but you get so offended. I mean what do you have against 3D Dot Game Heroes for example? Did you like Borderlands 2? You played a good chunk. Lollipop Chainsaw? Escape from Dead Island? I mean you played a lot of Dead Island. You played a good chunk of Costume Quest. What about Costume Quest 2?

If you don't have a lot of money then it would make sense to keep the PS3 just for the free PS Plus games. I'm not trying to attack you or belittle you, I'm just saying that there's a lot of games that are fun, and worth playing, but may not be 8s and 9s. I'm just trying to say that the PS3 is still an amazingly strong platform with a lot of good games that aren't on the PS4.

There have always and will always be games that pushed graphics further than fun or gameplay. As soon as they started playing and experimenting with graphics there have always been games that looked better than they played. To the extent that last gen focused more on graphics than gameplay, you can blame all the loud punks on the Playstation Blog who whine and cry that there are too many indie games, and that there aren't enough $40-60 dollar retail games coming out on Plus for their $5 dollars or less a month they are being charged.

It was your comment that games never used to be about graphics, and you feel now a days they are, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that, because when someone makes a statement like that, I feel like they didn't even see half of last generation, because this has been one hell of a generation, with lots of great games, games that didn't look amazing but played great, games that looked great and played great, games that were retro HDs, Retro inspired, $5 games, $7 games, $10-15 dollar games...

I was never trying to attack you. I was merely trying to suggest that maybe you should give the PS3 another look, and maybe ask for recommendations on stuff you may not have seen.

I'm not even remotely offended. If anything, you seem like the one getting upset above. And my trophy list isn't the best indicator of everything I have played. Quite a few times I've played, and even completed, games on a friend or relative's console.

I'm sure there are plenty of games out there are fun. And I don't only go for high rated games. That almost means nothing to me. Hell, some of the titles I enjoyed most weren't even critically acclaimed. I'm just saying I'm content with what I played on there. And I see nothing that makes me regret trading towards the PlayStation 4. If an opportunity arises for me to try something new, I'll try it out. If I had had the time to experience everything out there, I would have. Unfortunately, I neither have the time nor funds to embark on such an endeavor.

My comment about graphics was more about how games tried to do more with their limits than games today do. Mostly we see and hear companies striving to make games look shinier, run at a certain framerate, and seem as photorealistic as possible. I concede that there are also a vast wealth of titles that do not follow that trend. The limits back then only made developers try and improve the experience itself. Nowadays, there is so much to do that they seemingly focus more on the visuals. Trust me, I fully get what you are trying to convey. I wish that I could have swam through all those titles. If you saw my oldschool collection you'd know I like to find those hidden gems.

Now, though, I was looking forward to developers utilizing this new power to do even more than ever before. But so far, I've only seen improved visuals on ports and the same experiences just shinier. I imagine in a few years time we'll see more of what I'm hoping for. And whether people agree with me or not, I've been most excited about everything Nintendo in 2014 and 2015. So far they have failed to disappoint me. (Let's not go into the big third party debate on that one. I think I've made clear my stance on that in the comments on the site and in the forums somewhere.)

I'm not saying you are a liar, Makai. I'm saying you don't know me well enough to be able to tell me what I'd like. I will say you certainly have enough of an idea to suggest titles I may enjoy.

In any regard if you have a Vita and I'm pretty sure you do, if you buy any Zen Pinball tables buy them on the Vita so you get your PS4 version for free, and not buy them twice.

I did pick up the Vita again about two months ago on an impulse buy. I thought I would finally give it another shot and purchased FFX HD along with it. But the same thing winded up happening to me as the first time. Not enough titles stuck out that made me want to keep it. So I traded it in for Unity (which I adore) and The Evil Within. I also used the remainder to preorder Smash Bros. for Wii U. And so far, I've enjoyed all three more than I have my Vita.

EDIT: And I apologize for any miscontruance. (Made up word?) I find that my wording often offends people when I see no cause for offense in them. And I honestly have no clue how to go about remedying that issue. I perceive quite differently from others, it seems.

I'm not even remotely offended. If anything, you seem like the one getting upset above. And my trophy list isn't the best indicator of everything I have played. Quite a few times I've played, and even completed, games on a friend or relative's console.

I'm sure there are plenty of games out there are fun. And I don't only go for high rated games. That almost means nothing to me. Hell, some of the titles I enjoyed most weren't even critically acclaimed. I'm just saying I'm content with what I played on there. And I see nothing that makes me regret trading towards the PlayStation 4. If an opportunity arises for me to try something new, I'll try it out. If I had had the time to experience everything out there, I would have. Unfortunately, I neither have the time nor funds to embark on such an endeavor.

My comment about graphics was more about how games tried to do more with their limits than games today do. Mostly we see and hear companies striving to make games look shinier, run at a certain framerate, and seem as photorealistic as possible. I concede that there are also a vast wealth of titles that do not follow that trend. The limits back then only made developers try and improve the experience itself. Nowadays, there is so much to do that they seemingly focus more on the visuals. Trust me, I fully get what you are trying to convey. I wish that I could have swam through all those titles. If you saw my oldschool collection you'd know I like to find those hidden gems.

Now, though, I was looking forward to developers utilizing this new power to do even more than ever before. But so far, I've only seen improved visuals on ports and the same experiences just shinier. I imagine in a few years time we'll see more of what I'm hoping for. And whether people agree with me or not, I've been most excited about everything Nintendo in 2014 and 2015. So far they have failed to disappoint me. (Let's not go into the big third party debate on that one. I think I've made clear my stance on that in the comments on the site and in the forums somewhere.)

I'm not saying you are a liar, Makai. I'm saying you don't know me well enough to be able to tell me what I'd like. I will say you certainly have enough of an idea to suggest titles I may enjoy.

I did pick up the Vita again about two months ago on an impulse buy. I thought I would finally give it another shot and purchased FFX HD along with it. But the same thing winded up happening to me as the first time. Not enough titles stuck out that made me want to keep it. So I traded it in for Unity (which I adore) and The Evil Within. I also used the remainder to preorder Smash Bros. for Wii U. And so far, I've enjoyed all three more than I have my Vita.

EDIT: And I apologize for any miscontruance. (Made up word?) I find that my wording often offends people when I see no cause for offense in them. And I honestly have no clue how to go about remedying that issue. I perceive quite differently from others, it seems.
Well if you're going to buy Zen Pinball and might get a Vita again? (third time I'm guessing) maybe try buying the pinball tables through the web store then. Maybe just try buying one on PS3 or Vita, and see if it imports correctly on the PS4.

I'd hate for you to end up getting a Vita again (if you like pinball) and not being able to play them on the go even though you already bought it.

It just bewilders me that someone who is strapped for cash would buy a system where most of the games are expensive, rather than the system with over 1000 games, and so many games for $5-10 dollars worth playing either normally or on sale... If you're happy though, I can't really argue that. It just doesn't compute. I keep getting a divide by zero error in my brain. XD

Well if you're going to buy Zen Pinball and might get a Vita again? (third time I'm guessing) maybe try buying the pinball tables through the web store then. Maybe just try buying one on PS3 or Vita, and see if it imports correctly on the PS4.

I'd hate for you to end up getting a Vita again (if you like pinball) and not being able to play them on the go even though you already bought it.

It just bewilders me that someone who is strapped for cash would buy a system where most of the games are expensive, rather than the system with over 1000 games, and so many games for $5-10 dollars worth playing either normally or on sale... If you're happy though, I can't really argue that. It just doesn't compute. I keep getting a divide by zero error in my brain. XD

Saved up and traded towards, that's how I accomplished it. Only the Vita was an impulse buy. I never said I can't afford games. I said I can't afford to go out and buy every single title just to see if I'll like it. To me it is basic logic, get the new console because most of the new experiences will be on it. The PS3 will not be developed for at some point while the PS4 will keep on trucking. Happens with every cycle. I just feel satisfied with the time I had.

Saved up and traded towards, that's how I accomplished it. Only the Vita was an impulse buy. I never said I can't afford games. I said I can't afford to go out and buy every single title just to see if I'll like it. To me it is basic logic, get the new console because most of the new experiences will be on it. The PS3 will not be developed for at some point while the PS4 will keep on trucking. Happens with every cycle. I just feel satisfied with the time I had.
Yeah but usually you don't jump off the truck that's going full speed, onto one that's getting up to speed. :p

Yeah but usually you don't jump off the truck that's going full speed, onto one that's getting up to speed. :p

I've explained why already. They certainly should have enlightened us to what Gaikai was going to become instead of letting us make blind assumptions. But again, I'm satisfied with the time I spent.

I've explained why already. They certainly should have enlightened us to what Gaikai was going to become instead of letting us make blind assumptions. But again, I'm satisfied with the time I spent.
They kinda did say what Gaikai was gonna be, but the price point isn't aimed at us. It's aimed at people who don't want to buy a PS4, to play 1 game. It wasn't going to be a PS3 replacement.

They kinda did say what Gaikai was gonna be, but the price point isn't aimed at us. It's aimed at people who don't want to buy a PS4, to play 1 game. It wasn't going to be a PS3 replacement.

They said we would be able to stream older games. And that's about all they told us. Not until they revealed it as PlayStation Now did the full details come out about a subscription service and all that. Lesson learned though, don't be too hopeful.

Still, I don't feel like I missed out on anything. I feel wholly satisfied. And it is a good console and generation. It just wasn't the best. Of course, that is a matter of relative opinion.

They said we would be able to stream older games. And that's about all they told us. Not until they revealed it as PlayStation Now did the full details come out about a subscription service and all that. Lesson learned though, don't be too hopeful.

Still, I don't feel like I missed out on anything. I feel wholly satisfied. And it is a good console and generation. It just wasn't the best. Of course, that is a matter of relative opinion.
Yeah and to me the PS3 was one of the best generations.

Partly it's because there were so many games at the $5-15 dollar range that were brand new and new I.P.s that compete with the $50+ dollar games.

The PS3 had the power to look good in 3D, or do sprites really well. It did fall short in RPGs, though some of the ones it did have were amazing. The ability to buy a digital game, and play on 2 different consoles, can be a really satisfying experience, or just grabbing that game you own for $5 to get a digital copy that you can play when ever.

The PS4 will become my favorite generation ever. It's hard to imagine it not the way it's headed. The only downside of this generation is that so many games are getting DLC, and online only DLC that when the servers go down you either got your money's worth or you basically donated money to Sony a Pub and a Dev...

It'll just be a shame when they shut off the PS3 download servers because so many amazing games will be lost to the ether. Piracy will probably pick up at that point to catalogue a way to play these games.

Yeah and to me the PS3 was one of the best generations.

Partly it's because there were so many games at the $5-15 dollar range that were brand new and new I.P.s that compete with the $50+ dollar games.

The PS3 had the power to look good in 3D, or do sprites really well. It did fall short in RPGs, though some of the ones it did have were amazing. The ability to buy a digital game, and play on 2 different consoles, can be a really satisfying experience, or just grabbing that game you own for $5 to get a digital copy that you can play when ever.

The PS4 will become my favorite generation ever. It's hard to imagine it not the way it's headed. The only downside of this generation is that so many games are getting DLC, and online only DLC that when the servers go down you either got your money's worth or you basically donated money to Sony a Pub and a Dev...

It'll just be a shame when they shut off the PS3 download servers because so many amazing games will be lost to the ether. Piracy will probably pick up at that point to catalogue a way to play these games.

That's why I prefer physical copies. My SNES is still hooked up and running my games just fine. I'll go digital out of mere convenience, or when I know I can still play the game even if the servers go down. I'll just have to be sure not to delete any of the games at that point.

EDIT: And I also felt like this generation would be one of the best to ever exist. I still think so, just hope I'm not disappointed. Right now Nintendo has me the most impressed. Sony has some nice promises coming in the future. And I still haven't been even remotely impressed by the Xbox One.

That's why I prefer physical copies. My SNES is still hooked up and running my games just fine. I'll go digital out of mere convenience, or when I know I can still play the game even if the servers go down. I'll just have to be sure not to delete any of the games at that point.

EDIT: And I also felt like this generation would be one of the best to ever exist. I still think so, just hope I'm not disappointed. Right now Nintendo has me the most impressed. Sony has some nice promises coming in the future. And I still haven't been even remotely impressed by the Xbox One.

I bet if I got a Wii U given to me, and all the games for the system, it'd end up collecting dust. I have so many games on the PS4. I'm sure i have like half of them. So many fun, interesting, and brilliant games.

Once your digital deluxe promo expires will you be as excited? It's too late for anyone to care at this point. Expires at the end of the month.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"