What Would MAKE You Purchase An Xbox One?

BigPete7978

PSLS Level: Silver
Recently I posted a thread discussing the newly released Sunset Overdrive gameplay trailer (found HERE). And many of the replies said that it wasn't a system seller, but they would probably get it for the PS4. So it got me thinking, what would make people get an Xbox One. So,what is the one thing, or multiple, that would absolutely push you over the edge and make the Xbox One a must own console?

I learned my lesson with that Xbox 360 sitting on my shelf that I never play. I have a few good exclusives for it that I'd one day like to play, like Metro 2033 and Alan Wake, but I have so much good to play on my PS3, PS4, and Vita that I'll likely never get to it.

I will preface this is saying the conferences last year killed my desire to ever own an Xbox one. Prior to them, I was 100% on board with buying a one over a PS4 being that everyone I knew was over on that side. Once Microsoft started to hype up their "Entertainment System," I began to waver. With ever word after, they began to dig themselves deeper and deeper into oblivion. When they announced the price point I was gone. When they announced that their system wouldn't include backwards compatibility, I was back to burn away any thought of returning. Now that time has gone on and I've cooled down a little bit more I leave it down to this,

4 Simple things would make me consider getting a Xbox one:

1)Price drop.
I don't care how they do this but here's a suggestion. I understand that the whole idea behind the forced kinect or w/e they're calling it this gen is to open development within games that use it. I could not care less about your gimmick. If you sell me a console without it and I miss out on the opportunity to wield some virtual sword, so be it. Get rid of it on select units to be able to justify a price drop and it will begin to gain my attention

2)An epic Coop Adventure.
The most fun I had during the 360 era was during the Gears run. Being able to coop through the campaign then playing horde mode and from time to time going into the team death match made that console well worth the investment. If a Gears clone were to slip its way onto the Sony system, it would only keep me away longer.

3)Titles that draw my attention.
Titanfall was never a blip on my radar. I don't follow upcoming titles for the one. I barely follow them for Sony right now but aside from the speculation with E3 around the corner, nothing stands out. I know a new Gears game is somewhere down the line but with a new studio taking over, who knows what this next game will bring.

4)Friends.
Everyone I know jumped ship to Sonys console. If Cooping was my big draw to Xbox in the first place, I would need people over there to play with.

Every single point is as valuable as the next to me. Without all the stars aligning, There isn't even a remote chance of me buying that console as well.

1. Price drop - $400 or $450 w/ Gears.
2. Gears of War 4 - Needs to look awesome and bring something new and appealing.
3. Exclusives - So far I haven't seen anything that I would actually play on the XBO, except maybe Titanfall and that is a maybe.

I've been trying to win a One in contests because I can't justify the value of the console for my personal use. Plus, I can't think of anything that I would actually want to play on a Microsoft console that is exclusive. Gears of War and Halo are the only two good exclusives that I played last gen, but FPS games are console sellers for me. Forza looks kinda badass, but it also isn't a console seller for me. For me to buy a console, I need to be sold on everything: the online ecosystem, availability of games I want, and some seriously awesome first-party exclusive games from more than one genre. I don't have an Xbox Live account, so I would have to start reconnecting with friends and asking what their Live IDs are - no wait; none of my friends have an Xbox One. They have PS3s, PS4s, Vitas, and Xbox 360s. All of the Xbox games that I've liked that weren't Halo or Gears titles were multiplatform games and were also on PS consoles. Still, there is something that would make me buy an Xbox One, even at $500:
- FFVIII Remake

@SightfulRage pretty much nailed it for me and the fact that any online activities that you may persue are behind a paywall killed it for me. I hated having to pay extra just to watch Netflix and use Internet Explorer. Just a couple of the reasons I switched to PS.

Price drop, First, and then a few exclusives that really interest me. There has to be a few, just one wont convince me.

Last edited:
I've been with ps since '97 and I don't plan on changing horses anytime soon, although I did borrow a 360 to play bf3 online with a co-worker. I paid the year of gold, and found it underwhelming. That co-worker moved on to ps4.

A bout 20 or more exclusives worth playing. I bought my 360 for exclusives and only ended up buying about 10 games for it. It collected dust for the last few years of its life cycle. I will not be making that mistake again.

Still, there is something that would make me buy an Xbox One, even at $500:
- FFVIII Remake
If an FF8 remake was an Xbox exclusive title, not only would I not buy an Xbox one but I'd Hulk smash some stuff on my way out of this console generation. I'd still be a crazy jealous of the exclusivity but I would be beyond pissed. It would take a ton of self-reflection to heal the wounds left by that emotional beat down.

As proven with my intense love for the zombie genre, Dead Rising, and the Master Chief character, no game will make me get an Xbox One. That said:

1. Price drop. Even with the Kinect 2 it shouldn't be more than $450. I got my PS4 and the Camera for less than the cost of the One.

2. Drop paid for, timed (or otherwise) exclusivity. Meaning make first party exclusives, quit paying for third parties.

3. Drop required Live for services such as Netflix, Hulu, web browsing, etc. That is utter nonsense and they know it.

3.5 Make all general online interactions free, ala PlayStation Plus. Makes no sense at this point in the industry to keep Live the way it is structured.

4. Bring us ALL the features promised when it was first announced WITHOUT the bull spit policies first intended.

5. Change that damned controller. Those shoulder buttons are way too close to the triggers.

6. Start giving a damn about the customer. Sony does it with free online services, phenomenal rewards for Plus, and by actually listening to fan feedback. Nintendo does it by a completely free online infrastructure, producing high quality first party titles, and giving us fun over flash.

7. Put the focus back on gaming. Drop all this nonsense "all-in-one" fluff.

As proven with my intense love for the zombie genre, Dead Rising, and the Master Chief character, no game will make me get an Xbox One. That said:

1. Price drop. Even with the Kinect 2 it shouldn't be more than $450. I got my PS4 and the Camera for less than the cost of the One.

2. Drop paid for, timed (or otherwise) exclusivity. Meaning make first party exclusives, quit paying for third parties.

3. Drop required Live for services such as Netflix, Hulu, web browsing, etc. That is utter nonsense and they know it.

3.5 Make all general online interactions free, ala PlayStation Plus. Makes no sense at this point in the industry to keep Live the way it is structured.

4. Bring us ALL the features promised when it was first announced WITHOUT the bull spit policies first intended.

5. Change that damned controller. Those shoulder buttons are way too close to the triggers.

6. Start giving a damn about the customer. Sony does it with free online services, phenomenal rewards for Plus, and by actually listening to fan feedback. Nintendo does it by a completely free online infrastructure, producing high quality first party titles, and giving us fun over flash.

7. Put the focus back on gaming. Drop all this nonsense "all-in-one" fluff.
  1. I definitely see a price drop happening (maybe E3?). While the console isn't selling horribly, it still could do better.
  2. I do agree with this. More first party stuff would be great. Still waiting for another Crackdown game.
  3. There are tons of people saying this is about to happen soon. I don't agree with it either, bit it has never phased me because I am an Xbox Live Gold member. If you are going to market your device as an entertainment machine then let it do everything. So hopefully these rumors are true as well.
  4. Not sure what you mean by this? Like party chat? I thought some stuff PS Plus was required for, could be wrong though.
  5. Such as?
  6. I haven't had an issue with the controller. Definitely prefer the Dualshock 4 this generation, Sony finally made a controller I like. (Never cared for the original Dualshock controllers)
  7. I will say this. Given some of the recent things I've been hearing from friends (@RangerETx the most recent one) Sony's customer service isn't as great as people claim all the time. You are going to have good and bad regardless of the company you are dealing with. As for free online PS Plus is now required for online with the PS4, so not sure what you meant here. While Games With Gold list isn't as great as PS Plus, you have to remember the service just launched. I'm giving it time before I pass judgement. As for Nintendo people either love them or hate them. The biggest argument I hear is that it's the same titles over and over. Yet fans of the company bash Microsoft for Halo and Gears releases.
  8. I view Microsoft as in the same boat as the PS3 last generation. Yet PlayStation gamers forget that we had the expensive console last gen with the gaming drought. Hell I was happy for a damn new trailer in a PS Store update. Also the PS3 was marketed as all in one with its multimedia capabilities, Linux support, etc. Yet the same people that liked the PS3 for these features are bashing the Xbox One for taking a different approach with the television integration.
I really think it's just gonna take some time for the Xbox One to get going. Yes there are some games, but I'm waiting on exclusives like Sunset Overdrive and the rumored Crackdown game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"