XBox one Struggling?

JStasz

PSLS Level: Newbie
I'm seeing a lot of promotional stuff for the Xbox one. Like a lot of enter this and that and a bunch of other stuff where you could win the counsel. I was just wondering if Xbox is struggling to really sell at retail stores going about trying anything to really sell there counsel. I also saw that Microsoft was paying YouTube and Machinema for positive reviews about the Xbox one. Personally I think there trying everything and anything to slow down Sony

source:http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...-for-positive-xbox-one-coverage/1100-6417235/

ya they are REALLY struggling. I have a friend who works at amazon taking orders and she said that they just can't seem to keep the ps4 consoles in stock, whenever they get some in they are immediately shipped out and that ps3 games are starting to sell like crazy. as for the xbox, when I asked her about it she said nobody is buying stuff for it let alone buying the console, and that she was "sick of seeing green everywhere".
the gamestop where I am also is pushing the xbox like crazy, you walk by it and all you see is add's for the new xbox all over the windows, and maybe one or two for the ps4
and the have a bunch of xbox stuff all right at the entrance, they stuck everything sony in the far back walls with the wii u.

Best buy is also trying to pull the same stuff, but in their case I don't think it's working to well.

Personally I don't think it's struggling. Is it selling as well as the PlayStation 4? Not even close. If Sony could keep up with the demand, the lead they have gathered would be by much more. Is the Xbox One a bad console? No. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not. The console is marketed for specific people.

I look at it like this. The Xbox One is taking a more all in one approach of doing everything. This is the same approach that Sony took with the PS3 when it launched (Linux capabilities, media server, etc.). This generation Sony took a more social approach and is focusing on gaming. It really is up to you and what you are wanting in a console. I currently own both, and like both for different reasons. My PS4 is primary console, and my Xbox One is for exclusives and in the living room. PS4 is in the game room.

The Xbox One is not struggling, they just aren't putting up the numbers that the PS4 is, and it all boils down to price. If they wouldn't have shipped with the Kinect, this would be a much closer race.

I think if the ps4 however REALLY wants to boost their sales they should start bringing in those AAA titles like xbox is, instead of focusing on the indie developers. I don't mind indie games but if I were to buy a ps4 then it would be to play the big AAA games. not a lot of people care for indie games, I'm not speaking for everyone naturally but, who wants to buy a top notch console with barely any AAA games and more indie games then anything else?
that's one of the reasons Microsoft sold big, they focused on AAA games and rarely anything less.

I think if the ps4 however REALLY wants to boost their sales they should start bringing in those AAA titles like xbox is, instead of focusing on the indie developers. I don't mind indie games but if I were to buy a ps4 then it would be to play the big AAA games. not a lot of people care for indie games, I'm not speaking for everyone naturally but, who wants to buy a top notch console with barely any AAA games and more indie games then anything else?
that's one of the reasons Microsoft sold big, they focused on AAA games and rarely anything less.

I'm going to have to disagree here, Jacky. From my experience, more people than not care about indie games. They offer up something fresh and unique. Just because money was spent making a game, does not make it a great game. And just look at the lineup in the 360's Xbox Live Arcade. Completely contradicts your statement about "AAA focus." It sold well because it came out a year before the competition. That year solidified and brainwashed gamers into preferring it.

The PS4 doesn't need to do anything of the sort. It is selling extremely well on its own merits. It has "AAA" titles and indies. Something for all parties involved. To me, the only thing Xbox really had going for it was Halo and Gears. And those two have almost died out.

I just can't see why people get the Xbox One. And everywhere I ask on why I should get one as in regards to gaming, the staff "can't tell me." Or they "can't convince me." I just don't see the appeal of an "All-in-one" machine. I personally have devices on different monitors for a reason. I don't want my gaming interrupted by an unwanted skype call, or to pop into netflix for 30 seconds while playing. Nor do I want to browse the web and video chat to someone while playing a game. It all just seems counter-intuitive to immersing me into my games. And I've played most of the lineup so far. And I was not impressed. Ryse looked good, but was ultimately a shallow experience. I don't do pay-to-unlock games like Forza or Killer Instinct.

At the moment, it is just blind brand loyalty I see out there. And a few true gamers hoping something will justify their overpriced paperweight in the near future. In the Nashville area, most people are going Sony this time around. And for good reason. I can find a plethora of Xbox Ones that nobody wants in EVERY retailer. Seldom will you see a PlayStation 4 stay on a shelf for more than a few days.

To me, whether Xbox One is struggling or not is dependent on the region. In my area, it most certainly is.

I'm going to have to disagree here, Jacky. From my experience, more people than not care about indie games. They offer up something fresh and unique. Just because money was spent making a game, does not make it a great game. And just look at the lineup in the 360's Xbox Live Arcade. Completely contradicts your statement about "AAA focus." It sold well because it came out a year before the competition. That year solidified and brainwashed gamers into preferring it.

The PS4 doesn't need to do anything of the sort. It is selling extremely well on its own merits. It has "AAA" titles and indies. Something for all parties involved. To me, the only thing Xbox really had going for it was Halo and Gears. And those two have almost died out.

I just can't see why people get the Xbox One. And everywhere I ask on why I should get one as in regards to gaming, the staff "can't tell me." Or they "can't convince me." I just don't see the appeal of an "All-in-one" machine. I personally have devices on different monitors for a reason. I don't want my gaming interrupted by an unwanted skype call, or to pop into netflix for 30 seconds while playing. Nor do I want to browse the web and video chat to someone while playing a game. It all just seems counter-intuitive to immersing me into my games. And I've played most of the lineup so far. And I was not impressed. Ryse looked good, but was ultimately a shallow experience. I don't do pay-to-unlock games like Forza or Killer Instinct.

At the moment, it is just blind brand loyalty I see out there. And a few true gamers hoping something will justify their overpriced paperweight in the near future. In the Nashville area, most people are going Sony this time around. And for good reason. I can find a plethora of Xbox Ones that nobody wants in EVERY retailer. Seldom will you see a PlayStation 4 stay on a shelf for more than a few days.

To me, whether Xbox One is struggling or not is dependent on the region. In my area, it most certainly is.
I just don't get how just because a system is in stock is considered struggling. I prefer PS4 for sure, but the appeal for the Xbox One is definitely there. I own most of the launch title exclusives and can say that I have enjoyed them all immensely.

-Ryse - visually beautiful with combat mechanics similar to the Batman Arkham games. Game was a bit short, but really enjoy the co-op the title offers.

-Zoo Tycoon - I love games that allow you to build things from scratch while meeting goals along the way. Plays very similar to previous Tycoon titles, with it being optimized for the console.

-Dead Rising 3 - one of the main reasons that I bought the console in the first place. The game out just fun. You will find TONS of zombies with a huge amount of weapons to take them on.

-Peggle 2 - if you don't like the Peggle series I really don't know what to say. The game is just fun.

-Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare - this recent release was honestly a surprise for me. Yes it's different in the way it looks considering you are playing as a plant, but the mechanics are solid. The game is a ton of fun and offers a ton of replay value.

-Xbox Fitness - I have been working out on a daily basis for as long as I can remember. I absolutely loved Nike Kinect Training on the Xbox 360, and couldn't wait for Xbox Fitness when it was announced. This was another main selling point for me, and it definitely hasn't disappointed.

-Forza 5 - not the greatest game, but I'm not a huge racing fan. Overall it looks great and honestly it's another title I need to spend some more time with.

Overall I have never really had to justify the purchases I make. I enjoy games, and if it interests me I get it. The console isn't for everyone, and is definitely built for the being in the living room, and is a console that the whole family can enjoy. Not saying the PS4 isn't the same in that aspect though, it just depends what you're looking for. Hence the reason I got both at launch, best of both worlds.

I just don't get how just because a system is in stock is considered struggling. I prefer PS4 for sure, but the appeal for the Xbox One is definitely there. I own most of the launch title exclusives and can say that I have enjoyed them all immensely.

-Ryse - visually beautiful with combat mechanics similar to the Batman Arkham games. Game was a bit short, but really enjoy the co-op the title offers.

-Zoo Tycoon - I love games that allow you to build things from scratch while meeting goals along the way. Plays very similar to previous Tycoon titles, with it being optimized for the console.

-Dead Rising 3 - one of the main reasons that I bought the console in the first place. The game out just fun. You will find TONS of zombies with a huge amount of weapons to take them on.

-Peggle 2 - if you don't like the Peggle series I really don't know what to say. The game is just fun.

-Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare - this recent release was honestly a surprise for me. Yes it's different in the way it looks considering you are playing as a plant, but the mechanics are solid. The game is a ton of fun and offers a ton of replay value.

-Xbox Fitness - I have been working out on a daily basis for as long as I can remember. I absolutely loved Nike Kinect Training on the Xbox 360, and couldn't wait for Xbox Fitness when it was announced. This was another main selling point for me, and it definitely hasn't disappointed.

-Forza 5 - not the greatest game, but I'm not a huge racing fan. Overall it looks great and honestly it's another title I need to spend some more time with.

Overall I have never really had to justify the purchases I make. I enjoy games, and if it interests me I get it. The console isn't for everyone, and is definitely built for the being in the living room, and is a console that the whole family can enjoy. Not saying the PS4 isn't the same in that aspect though, it just depends what you're looking for. Hence the reason I got both at launch, best of both worlds.

I just have no interest at all in any of the nongaming features. And most of those other options are all available to PC for me in some way or another. I played Ryse and I found it way too repetitive for my liking. Very little variation in combat and the input commands. (RTE?) It was gorgeous, but to me, that is all it had going for it. Dead Rising 3 is the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on. And one title is not enough reason for me to spend nearly $600 on.

The fact that your other services (Netflix, etc.) are behind a paywall, Live is more expensive and offers less value, the console is $100 more for no real good reason (Kinect 2 excuse doesn't fly.), and the fact they intended to dictate what we like and how we like it at first are all reasons I will never get an Xbox One. And this is the first generation where I won't be owning all the consoles. That is really saying something about what Microsoft tried to do to us. I won't easily forgive them for that just because they tucked tail and apologized. I have stronger values than that. I did not like any of the measures they were attempting to force down our throats. That is the largest reason for my decision. The other ones listed above only emboldened said decision.

I do find this comment funny because at the moment Sony could have a thousand games with perfect reviews, and they would have sold the exact same number of consuls, since they are sold out everywhere. As far as big titles, Sony always has the most exclusive AAA titles, so just because we are just a few months from the consoles release, with just a feww big titles I wouldn't worry. Not to mention I think Indies are bigger than a lot of people think.

I do find this comment funny because at the moment Sony could have a thousand games with perfect reviews, and they would have sold the exact same number of consuls, since they are sold out everywhere. As far as big titles, Sony always has the most exclusive AAA titles, so just because we are just a few months from the consoles release, with just a feww big titles I wouldn't worry. Not to mention I think Indies are bigger than a lot of people think.

one of my friends told me, (though this is hearsay as far as I'm concerned), that a lot of the indie gaming companies a switching from ps4 to the xbox. but I do hear a lot of people say that they want less indie's on the ps4, and better AAA company titles (bear in mind I heard this from various people in my area.) the xbox has a long way to go at the moment from what I can see though, if they want to catch up to sony.

Indies are far more important than what the majority (what I dub "Hardcore") gamers think. A lot of them are of a stronger quality than "AAA" games. (Using the definition of AAA as big budget titles.) That is something both Nintendo and Sony are acknowledging. And thus the reason we are seeing more and more of them on consoles as opposed to PC or Steam exclusivity. And I, for one, am very grateful indeed.

It isn't hitting PS4 numbers but it definitely isn't having too much trouble selling.

Though I did see a pallet full of Xbox Ones (75 to be exact) piled up at a Costco marked down to $479.99 and didn't see a single one out of place. I couldn't help but giggle. And I live in a big city.

Indies are far more important than what the majority (what I dub "Hardcore") gamers think. A lot of them are of a stronger quality than "AAA" games. (Using the definition of AAA as big budget titles.) That is something both Nintendo and Sony are acknowledging. And thus the reason we are seeing more and more of them on consoles as opposed to PC or Steam exclusivity. And I, for one, am very grateful indeed.

I completely agree. I take the title "Indiestation" as a compliment to the PS4 when its used to make fun of it. I have had more enjoyable experiences playing indie games than I have playing most AAA games.

Its a shame that Microsoft didn't continue their support of indies after the 360 got great indie games as console exclusives such as Fez, Super Meat Boy, Castle Crashers, Braid, and others.

After that they didn't give indie devs the time of day again until Sony came out as a big supporter of them last February.

Its a shame that Microsoft didn't continue their support of indies. The 360 had great indie games as console exclusives such as Fez, Super Meat Boy, Castle Crashers, Braid, and others.

After that they didn't give indie devs the time of day again until Sony came out as a big supporter of them last February.

Just to clarify, Castle Crashers and Braid ended up being timed-exclusives but your point still stands. I don't see why Microsoft decided to just abandon indies from the get go, but it seems like they might be softening this stance.

Just to clarify, Castle Crashers and Braid ended up being timed-exclusives but your point still stands. I don't see why Microsoft decided to just abandon indies from the get go, but it seems like they might be softening this stance.
They would be foolish not to. There is so much money to be made off of indie titles for these companies.

That I disagree with because the general public who buys games usually don't go to gaming sites thus have no clue about the indies. Microsoft sees this is trying to capture the casuals, dudebros, and existing 360 players and since those people are the majority right now. The funny thing is those same people minus the dudebros went to the mobile "gaming" market. Look at Flappy Birds, Angry Birds, Candy Crush copy and paste jobs 0f older games from the Atari, NES, Genesis eras; simple and stupid time wasters however with these people if you ask them have you played "Don't Starve" or "FEZ" they may say "Never heard of them". I worked in retail for over 7 years; Best Buy and Gamestop; I was there during the launch of the DS, 360, PS3, Wii, and 3DS sadly the trend is simply the Greatest and Lastest games. That wins everytime over Indie titles as the general public would over look their games sadly the sales data supports that fact. The only reason why the Playstation 4 is selling right now is because of the value of the system not the games available because if price wasn't an issue then Nintendo would be number one right now with the Xbox One at number 2 in sales. Thankfully PS4 will have more exclusives and third party games coming out that truly show off what the system can do in order to combat the criticism of the system's most common weakness "It has no games" according to the general public who also bought the 360s multiple despite of the failure rates. Unfortunately Arthur all of us here are in minority

That I disagree with because the general public who buys games usually don't go to gaming sites thus have no clue about the indies. Microsoft sees this is trying to capture the casuals, dudebros, and existing 360 players and since those people are the majority right now. The funny thing is those same people minus the dudebros went to the mobile "gaming" market. Look at Flappy Birds, Angry Birds, Candy Crush copy and paste jobs 0f older games from the Atari, NES, Genesis eras; simple and stupid time wasters however with these people if you ask them have you played "Don't Starve" or "FEZ" they may say "Never heard of them". I worked in retail for over 7 years; Best Buy and Gamestop; I was there during the launch of the DS, 360, PS3, Wii, and 3DS sadly the trend is simply the Greatest and Lastest games. That wins everytime over Indie titles as the general public would over look their games sadly the sales data supports that fact. The only reason why the Playstation 4 is selling right now is because of the value of the system not the games available because if price wasn't an issue then Nintendo would be number one right now with the Xbox One at number 2 in sales. Thankfully PS4 will have more exclusives and third party games coming out that truly show off what the system can do in order to combat the criticism of the system's most common weakness "It has no games" according to the general public who also bought the 360s multiple despite of the failure rates. Unfortunately Arthur all of us here are in minority

And I counter with the notion that indies are now far more "mainstream" than they have ever been. People know about these titles. Odds are that if they are real gamers, they've at least looked at the lineup on Steam. Or have grazed across these titles in publications like Game Informer. There is just a degenerative gamer class out there that refused to play anything but big budget titles. Regardless if they are actually good games or not.

And at this point in time, they are beginning to explode in popularity and relevance on consoles.

And I counter with the notion that indies are now far more "mainstream" than they have ever been. People know about these titles. Odds are that if they are real gamers, they've at least looked at the lineup on Steam. Or have grazed across these titles in publications like Game Informer. There is just a degenerative gamer class out there that refused to play anything but big budget titles. Regardless if they are actually good games or not.

And at this point in time, they are beginning to explode in popularity and relevance on consoles.

did you see the sales charts for February 14th for both NA and Europe? indie's aren't exactly the most favored. the sales charts in the UK for the first week of march, have NO indie games listed. my brother doesn't have an indie on any of his systems, and he's the biggest gamer in the family. he's never even heard of any of the indies I mentioned.

reason for current indie sales at the moment: no really big titles coming out one after the other. they're all getting delayed.

Last edited:
did you see the sales charts for February 14th? indie's aren't exactly the most favored. my brother doesn't have an indie on any of his systems, and he's the biggest gamer in the family. he's never even heard of any of the indies I mentioned.

Not sure what the point here is when a great deal of indies are free and across multiple platforms. Primarily, PC. They are known. Extensively. The "hardcore" crowd knowing them or not is irrelevant to me. They wouldn't know a good game if it jumped up and chewed their face off.

Not sure what the point here is when a great deal of indies are free and across multiple platforms. Primarily, PC. They are known. Extensively. The "hardcore" crowd knowing them or not is irrelevant to me. They wouldn't know a good game if it jumped up and chewed their face off.

but according to you, as far as "hard core gamers" go, they WOULD know a good game, because they know everything.

Last edited:

You can't be serious...... indies have not been part of mainstream gaming for about 24 years. The PC was the only place where indies game were especially after gaming crash of 1983. Up until the more recent years indies were still on the PC ignoring consoles because they were both limited and have a lengthy Q/A system in place up until 2008 when Xbox Live Arcade with their indie program. During this time Microsoft took advantage of the Indie crowd, used them as fillers between big releases, then toss them to the side afterwards. Indies only exist because the PC gaming crowd not the console crowd the for last 30 years the PC supported most of them as it is an open platform. What is funny is that PC crowd want bigger games too. Sony right now is using indies as filler games for the bigger games coming out because who would buy a $400 console for a game that currently on steam for $5-$15 for the PC right now.... not me for sure but what about the other 6 million PS4 users who waiting for Watch Dogs, Drive Club, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy XV, etc and instead have games available to buy that are current on Steam since 2010.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"